Friday, April 29, 2022

The Spoon -- NaPoWriMo 2022 Day 29


Born with, Good and Gooey

No silver spoon was I born with 
True, not even a stainless spoon 
Plastic hadn't been invented 
We were poor wasn't everyone 

"Things" didn't have sure woulda liked 
Electric train and others big 
But had the "little things" boys need 
Pocket knife, barrow wheel to push 

We were poor but plenty of love 
Things children need money can't buy 
 _ _ _ 

 - Photo and Poem Copyright, Jimmiehov 21xx, All Rights Reserved 
 - I am linked with NaPoWriMo Day 29 for the prompt push, https://www.napowrimo.net/day-twenty-nine-8/ 
- I am also linked with Rosemary at her hosting's today of Friday Writings #24.  Congratulations, Rosemary, on your latest writing achievement.
 - Photo is my Fifth Grade school picture.  Eight in school, four of us were cousins.  Can you find me?
 - The prompt was to write a poem in which you muse on the gifts you received at birth — My gift, it really was, was being in a poor family.  A two bedroom, four room house called for sister to have the second, I slept on the front porch without heat or AC, all Nebraska seasons.  My grandfather and Dad closed it in with storm windows. 
 - Photo,  I was the boy in back, sister was front by our teacher.
..

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

At Friday, April 29, 2022 11:49:00 AM, Blogger Penelope Notes said...

So true! Sounds like it was innocence, imagination, love and shared common struggles of the community that brought joy to your childhood.

 
At Friday, April 29, 2022 12:24:00 PM, Blogger Sunita said...

This rings a bell. So true. The simple things gave lots of happiness.

 
At Friday, April 29, 2022 2:52:00 PM, Blogger Debi Swim said...

You nailed what we all need, and it isn't the amount of money or how many things. I grew up that way, too. No regrets!

 
At Friday, April 29, 2022 8:34:00 PM, Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Thanks for the congratulations, Jim! I love your reflections on the silver spoon. Same for me. I remember how much my little brother loved the billy-cart Dad made him – in the days when Dads had time to do such things, and not the money to buy them.
My Mum gave me money to buy cutlery as a wedding present (so I could choose my own design rather than her choosing for me) and was so disappointed when I got stainless steel rather than silver. But I think they are pretty (with a rose pattern on the handles) and I'm glad I didn't have to spend time polishing silver.

 
At Friday, April 29, 2022 9:15:00 PM, Blogger Marja said...

Yes indeed and we had fun, connections, adventure All things which are missing a bit these days I think we were rich

 
At Saturday, April 30, 2022 11:06:00 AM, Blogger Brother Ollie said...

Sounds familiar. A boy and a pocket knife had a some options. I made a lot of bows and arrows with mine.

 
At Saturday, April 30, 2022 11:53:00 AM, Blogger Helen said...

Every word ~~~ me too.

 
At Saturday, April 30, 2022 8:42:00 PM, Blogger Su-sieee! Mac said...

Ha, I picked out the right boy in the photo. You have the same cute smile as that kid. :-) I like your poem, Jim. I can relate to it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home