Thursday, April 21, 2022

Memory Peeks -- NaPoWriM 2022 Day 21 # 2 poem

[My Photo, Jimmiehov--click for larger view]

   If My Memory Serves 

Eleanor was her name *
We dated our first with 
each other, night was brisk. 

I had my dad's pickup 
Broken foot couldn't walk 
After the show we parked 
We parked and talked and talked 

She sat so close to me 
made me nervous, sort of 
Then she came closer still 
felt she wanted to kiss 

Eleanor was my first, 
only to kiss a girl 
who left her glasses on 
She didn't take them off 

She worked on the sixth floor 
of the watch factory 
while I was on the third 
I don't know what she did 

I ran six screw machines 
automatic screw machines 
I kept the rods coming 
and made sure blades  were sharp 

Eleanor and I stayed 
apart, no dates again 
Me? Went in the Army 
She? Moved back to her town  

Never saw her again 
No letters passed by us 
I've forgotten her name *
One of few can't look up

Army educated 
it educated me 
Went to France learned of Gogh 
St. Remy "Olive Grove" 

I snapped a picture there 
Picture, his Olive Grove 
Matched it with his painting 
Scene I'll never forget 

Memories, precious ones 
Some parts I've forgotten 
But remember enough 
'Nuff to keep me happy 

Would I ever attempt, 
try to fill empty holes? 


 [By Van Gogh, click for larger view

 NOTES:  
* (1)  Eleanor I'm sure was not her name.  I really cannot and probably never will remember her name. 
(2)  All this is true except that in the Army I DID NOT GO TO FRANCE.  I spent my five years all in ElPaso, Texas, at Fort Bliss.  Later, Mrs. Jim and I holidayed in France.  The Olive Grove is across the street from his Sanatorian at the edge of town, St. Remy, Provence, France. 
 _ _ _ 

 - Photo and Poem Copyright, Jimmiehov 2006 and 2022, All Rights Reserved 
 - I'm linked with NaPoWriMo Day Twenty-one, 
  - This prompt asks you to write a poem in which: 
(1)  you first recall someone you used to know closely but are no longer in touch with; 
(2)  then a job you used to have but no longer do;  
(3)  and then a piece of art that you saw once and that has stuck with you over time; and 
(4)  finally, close the poem with an unanswerable question. 
 Happy writing!

Labels: , , , , ,

7 Comments:

At Thursday, April 21, 2022 2:12:00 AM, Blogger paeansunplugged said...

I guess we should be grateful for what we remember. Very pertinent question. Well done

 
At Thursday, April 21, 2022 2:15:00 AM, Blogger Navaparna said...

Omg Your poem's expressed a lovely meet-cute in the start! A special memory for sure, awww I smiled while reading your poem but is it fiction?

 
At Thursday, April 21, 2022 4:02:00 AM, Blogger Kim M. Russell said...

A sweet poem, Jim!

 
At Thursday, April 21, 2022 6:22:00 AM, Blogger  said...

I love this SO much. Especially this:

“Eleanor was my first,
only to kiss a girl
who left her glasses on”

Excellent tale. I do long for the simpler, though harder, factory days. It is heavy on my heart, all these kids graduating from high school and having to worry about where they belong. I worry about all the jobs that once were not being there anymore—for people who want to use their bodies.

(Sorry for the tangent; my oldest is graduating in a few weeks.)

 
At Thursday, April 21, 2022 6:43:00 AM, Blogger Misky said...

Thoroughly enjoyed reading this.

 
At Thursday, April 21, 2022 4:17:00 PM, Blogger Ken / rivrvlogr said...

You can't beat van Gogh for inspiration. And lessons in love.

 
At Thursday, April 21, 2022 9:11:00 PM, Blogger Arti said...

Loved reading your poem Jim. Vincent's mention brought me to it:) His work connects and inspires.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home