Friday, April 15, 2022

Dolls and Toys -- NaPoWriM 2022 Day Fifteen



    Be My Paper Doll 

Boys have toys 
That's well known 
And when they grow older  
some they still own 
I don't mean their Porsches 
and electronics 

Ones they might keep for play 
like down on the floor or 
up on a table top 
While others are keepsakes 
of which they never play 

So now I'll tell of mine 
Some I still have some are 
out in a grove 
Like my steel wheelbarrow wheel, 
or rusting behind a barn 
Others were only in my mind 
though I never owned 
That would be the electric train 
I found every Christmas time 
It stays in the store or Sears catalog 
or on my cousin's shelf 

Teddy bears and trucks and cars 
Most every marble I've ever 
had resting in an old crank churn 
The tin monkey that knows 
his multiplication table through twelve 

Six Match Box cars on my dresser 
lined up ready to race and 
my gyroscope in its box  
A wooden box with my wood box and 
My Shirley Temple scrape book 
that Mom and I filled 
An old cast iron taxi my sister 
bought sort of like the one 
I had when small 
There's my Dick Tracy camera 
I'd ordered from Chicago 

And a few others I haven't told 

There's one I played with 
but never owned 
And NEVER WILL 
That's the paper dolls 
Ones like I played with 
while visiting my cousins 

I would cut out clothes for the dolls to wear 
When we ran out then we'd find some more in the Sears and Wards catalogs 
Doing all that was fun 

But now I've no desire for them 
No desire to even play 
let alone own 
There is an exception 
But still, I would be FAKING IT 
That's if a GRANDAUGHTER 
wanted me to play
Paper Dolls 

Oh yes, I forgot to tell of, 
my trusty Red Ryder BB Gun, 
it still shoots 
And my Snow Sled 
hanging on a garage wall, 
we have no snow in our 
Gulf Coast part of Texas 

[My dresser top -- Race Ready]
 _ _ _ 

 - Photos and Poem Copyright, Jimmiehov 2022, All Rights Reserved 
 - I am linked with NaPoWriMo 2022 Day Fifteen for the prompt below, 
 - We were asked, like  "challenge you to write a poem about something you have absolutely no interest in."  That would be PAPER DOLLS.
..

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home