Saturday, January 15, 2022

Sunday Muse -- The Wreck


The Aftermath 

Covered with hot sticky stuff, he climbed from the wreckage.  Wrangled and muddy it seemed a total loss.  


"Miracle of my life," he was musing of his fate.  Getting his left foot run over was nothing like this.  His left arm dangled from his body, useless.   He couldn't walk, his left leg in great pain, wouldn't hold him up. 

 

Crawling some more, fearing the pickup would explode, he sat on a stump wondering what to do next. Could he climb the embankment?  Would a passerby notice him down here?  If so, would they stop to help?  


Two days later, cold and shivering, he heard a car door above being shut.  He feebly called whoever had stopped.  Very soon from above came down a well-dressed lady about his age with a large Labrador on a leash.  


"The dog won't hurt you; would you like some help?  I'll take you someplace in my car."   Gratefully, passing the wreckage with her help, he asked for a favor, "Would you peek in and see if my cell phone, wallet, and a small package are there some place?"  


After rummaging around she found the wallet and phone but no package.  "And now to the Emergency Room in the last town?  By the way, those are my glasses hanging in the tree."  "Fine," she said, and grabbed them down.  


They talked politely on the way to the hospital, then she pulled into covered entrance way.  Met by a couple of burly guys, thanking the lady, he was headed to the door in a wheelchair. 


"Just a moment," the lady called, "is there something else I can do before I leave."  "Well, yes there is," handing her his card, "you could check on me in a couple of days."  He thanked her again and off she drove.  


Thinking, laying on the gurney, he was so glad for his glasses being up in the tree. Those sparkling in the sun were what had attracted her attention.  


Thoughts drifting, he wondered if she would call.  "I hope she does," were his last words aloud before he passed out in pain.  "Thank goodness for those sunglasses!" he thought. 

 

She was last on his mind. 

 _ _ _ _ 

 - Poem Copywrite, Jimmiehov 2022, All Rights Reserved 
 - For Photo Prompt I am linked with Carrie at The Sunday Muse #194,
 - (With the title I have written exactly 366 words) 
.

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

At Saturday, January 15, 2022 2:45:00 PM, Blogger Carrie Burtt said...

A wonderful story emerged from the image Jim! I wonder if she will call. I see a sequel in the distance. I love this!

 
At Saturday, January 15, 2022 3:48:00 PM, Blogger Helen said...

I love the lady’s composure in a what had to be a grisly scene. She will call, no doubt.

 
At Saturday, January 15, 2022 6:37:00 PM, Blogger qbit said...

I read that last line as he died. Always an appropriate topic for literature!

 
At Saturday, January 15, 2022 7:44:00 PM, Blogger Sherry Blue Sky said...

That is how I read the last line too. A positive thought as he closed his eyes...nicely done, Jim.

 
At Saturday, January 15, 2022 9:26:00 PM, Blogger Truedessa said...

I wonder if she checked up on him?

 
At Sunday, January 16, 2022 12:01:00 AM, Blogger Sumana Roy said...

A very tightly knit story indeed! Wow!

 
At Sunday, January 16, 2022 7:37:00 AM, Blogger C. Sandlin said...

An interesting reverse of the ghost girl by the roadside. Who exactly was this rescuer?

 
At Sunday, January 16, 2022 8:38:00 AM, Blogger Syl said...

That caught me and moved me.

.
https://soulfluff.wordpress.com/

 
At Monday, January 17, 2022 5:31:00 PM, Blogger phillip woodruff (jalopy dreams) said...

yeah, i once had a truck like that... wish i had a girl like that. great story jim, i hope he lived, i'd like to hear how it works out.

 
At Tuesday, January 18, 2022 10:06:00 PM, Blogger ms_lili said...

Love will find a way in the cosmos. I like the idea of the glasses both saving his life and leading the way to a possible romantic connection.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home