Thursday, January 20, 2022

Friday Writings - Spine Poem plus

 


Rock, paper, tiger 
Silver Anniversary 
Humpty Dumpty was pushed 
(my spine poem/senryu)

(I was overhearing their talk:)

I think it's just terrible 
Dastardly deed--purposely 
So cute poor fat little man 
(student with white shirt) 

Every way accessible 
Sat on his wall reaching all 
Long office hours he kept 
(student with shoes that don't match)

Clever and very wise too 
Physics 102 project 
Broken eggs back together 
(with white shirt) 

Let us go back to the lab 
Make Dr. Dumpty famous 
(student with black shirt) 

Then we'll teach him--Balancing 
(in unison)

( Now I've heard it all!!)
_ _ _ 

 - Photos and Poem Copyright, Jimmiehov 2022, All Rights Reserved 
 - I am linked with Magaly at Friday Writings #10,  
 - Magaly invited us to "create poetry or prose inspired by a conversation we’ve overheard." 
 - I left my position as an Aerospace Engineer at NASA Houston in 1980 for a second career as a Business Professor at San Jacinto College, a large two-year community college in the East Houston area. 
 - After every class I would move to the front of my desk, move the lectern out of the way, and sit on the desk as my students passed by.  Some would stop to discuss a point we covered in the lesson, maybe give a real-life example that fit, or make an office visit appointment, and so on.
 - Various times in my life I have felt folks were placing me in an older order.  My classes were no exception, starting after teaching maybe fifteen years, many of the female students began patting my legs as they passed.
 - I was well liked by the students even though I made them work hard for a good grade.  Fine with other faculty too.  But I was forced to retire due to health reasons (from which I've recovered).  
 - My working life had phases, three years working in an Elgin watch factory, five years in the U.S. Army, 19 years with Aerospace, and 22 years at San Jacinto College.   I retired in 2001, Mrs. Jim was ahead of me, she retired in 1999.
.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

At Thursday, January 20, 2022 11:46:00 PM, Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Nicely imagined conversation and clever string of senryu. (And I am assuming, from your back story, you are imagining yourself as the Dr Dumpty concerned?)

That's so funny and sweet, the kids patting your legs as they passed!

 
At Friday, January 21, 2022 7:35:00 AM, Blogger scotthastiepoet said...

Hey Jim, delightfully playful write and with such a perfect ending.I like both the boldness and originality in this piece...

 
At Friday, January 21, 2022 10:05:00 AM, Blogger phillip woodruff (jalopy dreams) said...

"murder by numbers
1,2,3,
it's as easy to learn
as your a,b,c's"
- the police

clever poem jim, enjoyed very much

 
At Friday, January 21, 2022 10:21:00 AM, Blogger Helen said...

In the midst of all the 'Dumpty commenters' .. I can hear your voice! Cheers.

 
At Friday, January 21, 2022 1:06:00 PM, Blogger indybev said...

Dumpty, from his troubled seat
ruled the country by tweet
when his minions came to call
he wasn't really there at all

 
At Monday, January 24, 2022 7:33:00 PM, Blogger purplepeninportland.com said...

Love that spine poetry as well as your poem.

 
At Monday, January 24, 2022 8:44:00 PM, Blogger Thotpurge said...

I love the title "humpty dumpty was pushed" (feels like I must agree!) and your take on Mr. Dumpty as the teacher!

 
At Friday, January 28, 2022 7:27:00 AM, Blogger Yvonne Osborne said...

What if Humpty Dumpty was pushed?? In this day and age that would've been what happened. Poor little fat man.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home