Tuesday, May 04, 2021

A Special Place -- Weekly Scribblings

 Place(s) special to me; I was asked to tell 


Across the nation, all fifty states 

Across the seas we saw 

Six continents we walked 

Antarctica was near  

Arctic Circle yes


But my mind returned 

From those far away

My mind came back 

Back to one evening 

To one special place 

Now nine hundred miles away 

And more time ago than I tell 


Beside a garage in an alley 

The alley's driveway 

Deep in the suburbs 


I was about nineteen 

Or a little less 

She was about the same 


Halloween rocks younger 

adults would throw 

Judge who was mean to us young 

Garage windows break 


Car lights were off 

She got out 

Then came back 

Girls I didn't understand 

In all their ways 


We stayed long 

Don't remember how much time 

We left it like it was 

Nothing thrown

No cans, bottles or rocks 


The garage and alley 

I will always remember 

My dear friend as well 

 - - - 

(She loaned me her downtown apartment one Thanksgiving weekend when I was staying in town.  I've lost track of her now, neither google nor facebook know whereabouts either.)

(This was in Lincoln, Nebraska, I had dropped out of college after a year and a half, three semesters.  My life, sleeping in rented rooms, became a job in the watch factory and two other part time ones, a nice two-year-old car hopped up to very fast, a race car driver friend who asked me to be in his pit crew  and lots of friends.) 

 - - -  

The garage now? 

Is it still there? 

I don't know I don't care 

Does she remember 

The place the time 

To me that special place,

Was it special to her? 

Does she still remember too 

Does she remember me 

Was that place ever special to her 


I hope it was 

I hope she does 


I hope she remembers me 

I hope, if she's still alive 

I come to her mind 

and

that first time we were there 

first time we dated 


All this was special to me 

There . . .

 - - - 

 - Poem and Photos Copyright,  Jimmiehov 2021, All Rights Reserved 

 - I am linked with Rosemary as she was hosting this week's Pantry Party #68 ,    https://poetsandstorytellersunited.blogspot.com/2021/05/weekly-scribblings-68-where-are-you.html?m=1

 - In her instructions Rosemary asked us to describe or tell about a place or places very special to us.  This one is super special to me.

Labels: , , , , ,

12 Comments:

At Wednesday, May 05, 2021 12:21:00 AM, Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

A special place indeed. I like to think she would have remembered too.

 
At Wednesday, May 05, 2021 2:52:00 AM, Blogger Kim M. Russell said...

You’ve travelled so far and wide, Jim, it must have been hard to choose one special place. I like the way you describe yours as ‘Now nine hundred miles away / And more time ago than I tell’, and that it seems such an ordinary place but holds such strong memories. I wonder if she remembers too.

 
At Wednesday, May 05, 2021 6:49:00 AM, Blogger Old Egg said...

What a great reminiscence Jim.

 
At Wednesday, May 05, 2021 11:32:00 AM, Blogger indybev said...

Sad that you've lost touch. My guess is that moment in time was as special to her as to you and, wherever she is, she holds it in her memory as well.

 
At Wednesday, May 05, 2021 2:55:00 PM, Blogger Rommy said...

Fun times to be sure, I'm so sorry you lost touch over the years.

 
At Wednesday, May 05, 2021 3:03:00 PM, Blogger Magaly Guerrero said...

I bet she remembers, too... I think that when something shared touches us deeply, the memory marks everyone involved.

 
At Wednesday, May 05, 2021 3:19:00 PM, Blogger Brother Ollie said...

This is threaded with great memories. Good vivid details Jim.

 
At Wednesday, May 05, 2021 4:08:00 PM, Blogger Gillena Cox said...

Nice one Jim. Happy Wednesday

much❤love

 
At Wednesday, May 05, 2021 6:46:00 PM, Blogger Debi Swim said...

Oh, our wonderful memories. I hope she remembers, too.

 
At Wednesday, May 05, 2021 7:19:00 PM, Blogger Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Poignant memory of a place committed to poetry. Thanks for this precious read, Jim!

 
At Thursday, May 06, 2021 12:56:00 PM, Blogger Helen said...

Both travelogue and personal journey / diary ~~~ well done Mr. Jim.

 
At Friday, May 07, 2021 2:17:00 PM, Blogger Helen said...

Pray tell, what does OBE mean? I am feeling woefully inadequate.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home