Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Weekly Scribblings -- The Dance

Why The Dance for Me


Why was I here, "dancing the night away?" 

Had I delusions dancer King or Queen 

Or did I enjoy it as indoor sport 

In college I loved my dancing classes 

Met classmates I would have never before 

I learned the old and the newest there be 

From the Waltz through Cha Cha to the Breakdance 

But not a soul I met in those lessons 

Have I seen in years 


After that I would try  local dances 

Going there people to meet mostly girls 

Out of town to the west that was the best 

Going south fine as well more elegant 

My roommate had made friends with a lady 

Lived across the hall--gladly bought us booze 

Drive down to Kansas legal age eighteen 

But not a soul I met at those dances 

Have I seen in years


Now when we're on à cruise lessons we'll take 

Take them before the dances to review 

Or at weddings where  we take the dance floor 

Misses brushes me up on the two step 

With her and the bride I hope I will dance 

And maybe then a few more if they ask 

But not a soul I met at the wedding  

Have I seen in years 

_ _ _ 


 - Poem Copyright, Jimmiehov 2021, All Rights Reserved 

 -  Photo taken by me  on our ship while cruising in 2013 someplace in the Black Sea.  The dancers had boarded while we were stopped a couple of days in Istanbul. http://jimmiehov.blogspot.com/2013/10/a-random-five-post-020-venice-to-athens.html

 - YouTube previously used on my "Party Girl" poem 2016 post, https://jimmiehov6.blogspot.com/2016/03/party-girl-challenge-poem-for-flash-55.html?m=1

 - I am linked to Weekly Scribblings #62 for Magaly Guerrero's prompt word, "Dance", at https://poetsandstorytellersunited.blogspot.com/2021/03/weekly-scribblings-62-shut-up-and-dance.html?m=1

 

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

At Wednesday, March 24, 2021 10:06:00 PM, Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Hmmm, I married (the first time of three) someone I met at a town hall dance – but I haven't seen him in years, not since we divorced in 1965. He's probably no longer alive; I wouldn't know. However I'm still friends with a woman I used to go to Town Hall dances with, back in those days. (It was always nice to have a friend to go with.)

 
At Thursday, March 25, 2021 5:34:00 AM, Blogger Old Egg said...

I wasn't fond od dancing myself which meant my wife was somewhat deprived of a good dancing partner when we married. Mind you we found plenty of other enjoying activities and I let her lead when we occasionally hit the dance floor!

 
At Thursday, March 25, 2021 7:52:00 AM, Blogger Magaly Guerrero said...

I'm always impressed by anyone who can do (or did) break dancing. It's one of the few dances I never tried. I like that it ends with a couple dancing. I've always thought dancing adds a special touch to a relationship.

 
At Thursday, March 25, 2021 8:53:00 AM, Blogger Helen said...

Stream of consciousness story poem works quite well here .... dance / dance!

 
At Thursday, March 25, 2021 9:11:00 AM, Blogger indybev said...

I thought back to the friends in my single "dancing days", and realized I am quite possibly one of the only two remaining. I seem to be outliving so many of the players who've passed through the stage of my life! Enjoyed your poem, Jim.

 
At Saturday, March 27, 2021 11:05:00 AM, Blogger Amrit Sinha said...

Dancing has so many stories for each one of us. And each one of them is special :-)

 
At Sunday, March 28, 2021 11:43:00 AM, Blogger Rommy said...

I wished I had danced more in my youth, but whenever I get the chance to dance now, I take it.

 
At Monday, March 29, 2021 6:51:00 PM, Blogger purplepeninportland.com said...

I love the repetition in this poem, Jim!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home