Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Poem -- Acrostic

S W A L L O W   S C R E A M S; 
  f o r   D I N N E R  

"Swallow", word I hated to hear
Word meant for me to drink
Always evening dinner they would come
Liquid so thick my tonsils would stick
Laying there oozy back of my throat
Lolloping stuck like a drunken truck
Waiting but that Swallow coming not

Screams in the night dreams keep me awake
Cry out I could not no one to hear
Remembering song they wished to hear
Each note sticking to a brain cell
Again and again, over over
My sobs holding back as if I dare
Silenced by my fear though not afraid

for at the brink at night I dared not
only noise I made tears hitting the floor
red with blood from twisted bleeding ears

Dying my wish, that comes other day  
Instead it's 'Swallow some more' 'til then  
Nobody cares get rid of the junk
Next day no matter same o' same o' *
Each day I live to Swallow better
Remarkably I never do puke

A few South American Critters:
[click photo for larger views]

 
[from an excursion on our 'Around South America' cruise]
_ _ _

 - Poem Copyright, Jimmiehov 2020, All Rights Reserved
  - I'm linked with Magaly Guerrero at Weekly Scribblings # 33, https://poetsandstorytellersunited.blogspot.com/2020/08/weekly-scribblings-33-swallow-screams.html?m=1
 - Magaly wants us to include the words, "Swallow screams for dinner" in our work.
 * https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/same+o+%27+same+o+%27

Labels: , , , , , , ,

9 Comments:

At Wednesday, August 19, 2020 4:22:00 PM, Blogger Susie Clevenger said...

Goodness, how creative with the challenge. This is such a painful read. Reality drips through the ink.

 
At Wednesday, August 19, 2020 7:17:00 PM, Blogger Magaly Guerrero said...

Alcoholism is a tough one. Everyone around someone who drinks their meals tends to get hurt.

 
At Wednesday, August 19, 2020 7:17:00 PM, Blogger Magaly Guerrero said...

Oh, and that was a very interesting way to keep the prompt phrase intact. :-)

 
At Wednesday, August 19, 2020 8:00:00 PM, Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Clever of you to use the phrase as an acrostic. At first I thought the poem recounted a child's fears, but I see it's even more serious than that. One of your best writes, I think

 
At Thursday, August 20, 2020 2:32:00 AM, Blogger Kim M. Russell said...

Well done for creating an acrostic from the prompt words, Jim, and for such a tragic and terrifying story of addition. You conveyed the despair so well in the lines:
‘Liquid so thick my tonsils would stick
Laying there oozy back of my throat
Lolloping stuck like a drunken truck’,
the screams in the night and the ‘twisted bleeding ears’.

 
At Thursday, August 20, 2020 8:36:00 AM, Blogger Rommy said...

Playfully creative way to use the prompt...but such a dark topic. Really detailed picture of addiction.

 
At Thursday, August 20, 2020 11:34:00 AM, Blogger indybev said...

A clever way to handle the quote; a bit distubing to read.

 
At Friday, August 21, 2020 1:30:00 PM, Blogger Gillena Cox said...

Bravo on an acrostic cleverly written
Happy Friday Jim

Much💝love

 
At Sunday, August 23, 2020 2:09:00 AM, Blogger Margaret said...

I agree, the acrostic was a unique and clever way to deliver this very tortured poem of addiction!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home