Sunday, October 06, 2019

An October Prose Poem for the Pantry of Prose at Poets United

The Little Girl at the Dollar Store

I had been reparking the car after letting The Misses out by the door. She went ahead to find some fake flowers for her mother's grave. As I walked into the Dollar Store I asked the clerk where the fake flowers were, but as she started to point the lady was interrupted with, "I'll take you there."

My rescuer was another lady in her late thirties pulling along a little girl about two. I think this little girl had not seen a man using a cane before to help him walk. She may not have seen a man a old as I was either. We will name her LGAT for "little girl about two"

We found The Misses coming back with eight dark red and twittering on the verge of orange. Very timely for this nice October month.  As the four of us walked rather leisurely to the cashier the mother and The Misses talked of burials and the upcoming Halloween holiday. But LGAT and I were eyeing each other with what is next with us?

I finally broke the ice and asked what she was going do to for Halloween. "Trick or Tweet" was her guarded answer. We didn't talk about me but in a bit I asked her about a costume, she said a witch.

Misses stepped in and asked her if she knew the song, "Witches on their Brooms*" but her answer showed she wasn't into listening to things like that (the only witch song I remembered then was the 1972 Eagles' tune, "Witchy Woman"). She did have several comments about witches that I really could not understand.

The Misses then asked her what she thought I should be so she said a witch also, though I think she wanted me to ride my cane like a broom. 

They left after their credit card was approved, without 'good-byes'. LGAT was walking half backwards half of the time trying to keep an eye on me. I am sure she will talk about us, me the more, and ask questions. I would have liked knowing of her grandparent's status.

LGAT may remember this episode for days, I will remember for years.

*YouTube song, "Witches with their Brooms" link  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-_wvob4ZEw
   _  _  _ 

 - Poem Copyright, Jimmiehov 2019, All Rights Reserved
 - I am linked with Magaly Guerrero in the Poetry Pantry at Poets United, http://poetryblogroll.blogspot.com/2019/10/pantry-of-poetry-and-prose-october-is.html?m=1 

 - Our instructions by Magaly were to write a prose poem of 369 words or less in the vein of the month of October.  I have exactly 369 words including the title.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

At Sunday, October 06, 2019 8:51:00 PM, Blogger Sherry Blue Sky said...

A wonderful encounter..........little kids are the best!!!

 
At Sunday, October 06, 2019 10:09:00 PM, Blogger Magaly Guerrero said...

Jim, I completely adore this. I would've loved to have seen that exchange, to have seen LGAT's bright eyes, and the flowers for MIL. I love the sweetness of the scene, strangers talking to each other, doing things that bring people closer, being alive and living.

 
At Monday, October 07, 2019 1:52:00 AM, Blogger Old Egg said...

What a beautiful tale Jim, it is so good when little ones start to interact with other adults and the most surprising and delightful conversations take place.

 
At Monday, October 07, 2019 2:23:00 AM, Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

A delightful story! Your details brought her off the page for me.

 
At Monday, October 07, 2019 8:16:00 AM, Blogger Bodhirose said...

How charming. Since I have a 2 1/2 year old granddaughter, I could picture the whole scene, with the eyeballing and you not being able to understand all that she said. It is such a sweet age...hers and maybe yours too! ;)
Gayle ~

 
At Monday, October 07, 2019 1:29:00 PM, Blogger brudberg said...

This is wonderfully sweet... love the little dialogue and the trick and tweets...

 
At Monday, October 07, 2019 1:57:00 PM, Blogger Sanaa Rizvi said...

This is such a heart stirring tale, Jim!

 
At Monday, October 07, 2019 9:45:00 PM, Blogger Margaret said...

Ah.. Witchy Woman. Now that is stuck in my head :) Sounds like a fun grocery shopping trip - I find them usually so boring.

 
At Wednesday, October 09, 2019 9:48:00 AM, Blogger Lori said...

It's amazing how quickly you can make a connection with someone. It definitely feels magical. Especially as there seems to be something knowing about the child's eyes seeing something yet not knowing what. Children do have a magical ability to make one see things differently. How lovely that she shared a little of that magic with you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home