Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Happy National Pi Day ~~ a Pi Poem (Pi-om), this year a Limerick

To the fridge Grandfather Jim went 
In there he'd find a pie for Lent
The fridge was oh so bare
Leftovers and a hare
Rabbit fit for pie he was bent
_ _ _ _ _


    _ _ _ _
     
    I've used the rabbit picture before, first in 2008 (link) as my Easter Rabbit surprise.  I have no idea where it originated, it came on a chain e-mailing.
    Poem Copyright, © Jimmiehov 2017, All Rights Reserved

    I'm linked with Kelly O'Conner at the Imaginary Garden with Real Toads, The Tuesday Platform ~~http://withrealtoads.blogspot.com/2017/03/the-tuesday-platform_14.html
Today is National Pi Day (check it) to celebrate March 14 (3rd month, 14th day -- 3.14 = pi)

"Pi" is a mathematical constant equaling 3.14159265359.  For most applications 3.14 or 3.1416 is usually sufficient.  For approximation we can use 3 1/7.

A lot of people will be writing a "Pi Poem.  Different form and free form will be used, some will use a Pi-Kau, a three line special poem of  a three syllable, a one syllable, and a four syllable lines.  This year I am writing a Limerick, one year I wrote pi-kau form.
My other years 'pi poems' are here.
  • Pi is useful for finding areas and volumes when the object is a circle or a cylinder. 
  • In a formula we can abbreviate pi to be represented for pi by using the Greek letter "π".
  • What is Pi?  It is the circumference of any circle, divided by its diameter.  Also using this equation, we can back out and find dimensions by manipulating the formula.
  • For example, knowing the diameter ("D") of a circle we can find the circumference ("C") by using the formula, C = π x D. 
  • Pi Day also happens to be the birthday of Albert Einstein. (born 1879) You could eat a pie or play an Einstein-themed trivia game, or have an Einstein impersonator contest. 
  • Mrs. Jim is making me a pi Day pie, I hope rhubarb.
I used a Pi a lot in my studies as I have eight college mathematics courses giving me a Minor of Math to supplement my Economics Major for my Bachelor of Science Degree from the University of Houston.
.

Labels: , , , , ,

8 Comments:

At Tuesday, March 14, 2017 12:52:00 AM, Blogger Thotpurge said...

Yes, pie is a must today!

 
At Tuesday, March 14, 2017 6:04:00 AM, Blogger Sanaa Rizvi said...

This is soo cute!!❤️

 
At Tuesday, March 14, 2017 8:27:00 AM, Blogger Kerry O'Connor said...

An amusing take on 3.14. Happy Pi day to you.

 
At Wednesday, March 15, 2017 12:35:00 AM, Blogger Gillena Cox said...

Luv the idea and your fun poem Jim

Much love...

 
At Wednesday, March 15, 2017 6:02:00 AM, Blogger Marian said...

Smile! I was quite distracted from Pi Day by our snowstorm. :)

 
At Wednesday, March 15, 2017 1:11:00 PM, Blogger Bekkie Sanchez said...

A fun day! I would be very distracted by finding a rabbit in my fridge!

 
At Friday, March 17, 2017 12:33:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Adorable bunny and a fun poem!

 
At Sunday, August 21, 2022 5:48:00 PM, Anonymous JadeLi said...

A Limerick Pi(e) :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home