Tuesday, August 09, 2016

A rock from my collection ~~ Poem material?


This little rock of mine;
it almost talks to me

This flat little rock of mine 
been around for a long time
No ordinary rock this
Origin, Himalayas

There it lay, mountain topping
Rolled down one day not stopping
Shaken by the rumbling earth
Losing hold its sunny berth

Stopping then on the plateau
Warmer, didn't want to go 
But not for long could it stay
Monster grabbed, ran for the Bay

Strange creature this, O so cold
Icy, large, so very bold
Unnamed glacier inched along
Grinding my stone, eons long

Once so large in stature, now
a few inches, made to bow
Dumped in wet, nasty man he
Tumbling then, the River Li

Eons passed again once more
River calmed, had lake with shore
I came along, skipping stones
Liked flat ones size of Brit's scones

There out in the water a bit
Found this pretty stone, a hit
Almost flat, green dullish glow
But wait, way too nice to throw

I kept this rock, pocket sized 
A female rock I surmised
Lovely looking shiny wet
I've kept her fifteen years yet

Listen, she said "please keep me,
I need to be loved, Jimmy"
I have these years, China doll
Pretty when wet, I did fall


_ _ _ _

Photos and Poem Copyright 2016, @ Jimmiehov, All Rights Reserved

Today I'm linked with the Imaginary Garden with Real Toads, Tuesday Platform,
http://withrealtoads.blogspot.com/2016/08/the-tuesday-platform_9.html
Tuesday Platform is open forum, hosted, or imagined, this week by Marian.

Marian was introducing Adrienne Rich, who said the following:


"A poem can come out of something seen, something overheard, listening to music, an article in a newspaper, a book, a combination of all these… There’s a kind of emotional release that I then find in the act of writing the poem. It’s not, ‘I’m now going to sit down and write a poem about this.’"
I decided to write this poem as I washed the washed off my little rock which usually sits on my bathroom vanity.  I thought of that day on the River Li in China (link, very pretty also). 

We were taking a break (probably the cook wasn't on schedule for our lunch meal, a China Buffet) from a day cruise there.  It was so very pretty!!  I think the striations may be green jade.  Those shine and look so very pretty when wet!! 

Note: Pictures below are from "Google Maps."  They depict how far my little rock probably traveled before being hijacked by me and flown to Texas.  Click on them for a better view.


p.s. It's hard to keep seven syllable meter, but I tried.

 ......Other of my writings/posts about rocks, link.

Labels: , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

At Tuesday, August 09, 2016 9:27:00 PM, Blogger Outlawyer said...

Lovely and great tale. These mementos really do sever a mnemonic purpose. I love that it is a female rock! k.

 
At Wednesday, August 10, 2016 7:02:00 AM, Blogger Sandra said...

lovely story of that rock...I also keep some...:)

 
At Wednesday, August 10, 2016 7:30:00 PM, Blogger Gillena Cox said...

Some things are so wonderous. You just have to lean to the sympatico and bond

I luv your rock story Jim

Thanks for dropping in to read my 'All Fours' post

Much love...

 
At Thursday, August 11, 2016 12:33:00 AM, Blogger Dr. Vandana Sharma said...

Wow! what a great story of little adventurous rock! Every day things, which might seem ordinary to the eye are made special by emotions and of course poets like you:) I enjoyed every bit of this lovley poem and the story ofthe"she rock".

 
At Thursday, August 11, 2016 5:32:00 AM, Blogger Marian said...

I love this, Jim! Full of surprises. I have a couple rocks sitting around too, and they have tales to tell (though a bit closer to home and more pedestrian than your rock's tale). There is a children's book about finding the perfect rock. It's wonderful and I bet you would love it if you don't know it. Rules for finding the perfect rock. "Everybody Needs a Rock" by Byrd Baylor.

 
At Thursday, August 11, 2016 6:57:00 AM, Blogger Rommy said...

What a fun story about the travels of a pretty rock and where it dovetailed with your travels as well. I'd like to visit China someday.

 
At Thursday, August 11, 2016 4:00:00 PM, Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

A beautiful stone! I am an inveterate picker-up (and keeper) of stones. Many years ago a friend of mine went to China and brought me back a small ornament from Guilin (which, your link tells me, surrounds the River Li). She did so because, she told me, Guilin is renowned for being home to poets! Perhaps it was no accident your stone chose you. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home