Sunday, January 10, 2010

One Single Impression: Indurated

Indurated
trees hardened as stone
once were supple and green
holding birds in their bows
this rock I now hold
earlier was
one
makes
me wonder
of all the processes it went through


O that
I could stand those pressures
of stresses from everyday living and fires
raising family loving spouse feeding us all
I'd surely falter along life's way
be burned
and
turned
into
stone myself
this all reminds me of Lot's poor wife*


Poem Copyright © 2010 Jimmiehov
All Rights Reserved


Find more poems at One Single Impression
"Wings" as prompt was
suggested by Kuyerjudd at
My Heart Up Close

* Notes:
1. Lot's wife, looking back on Sodom, was turned into a pillar of salt.(link)
2. Indurated definition Online Dictionary ]
Indurate \In"du*rate\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Indurated; p. pr. &
vb. n. Indurating.]
[1913 Webster]
1. To make hard; as, extreme heat indurates clay; some
fossils are indurated by exposure to the air.
[1913 Webster]
2. To make unfeeling; to deprive of sensibility; to render
obdurate.
[1913 Webster]

Indurated \In"du*ra`ted\, a.
Hardened; as, indurated clay; an indurated heart.
--Goldsmith.
[1913 Webster]

indurated - Moby Thesaurus II by Grady Ward, 1.0 :

48 Moby Thesaurus words for "indurated":
Philistine, backed, brazen, calcified, callous, calloused,
case-hardened, conscienceless, crusted, crusty, crystallized,
flinty, fossilized, granulated, hard, hardened, hardhearted,
heartless, hornified, impervious, incrusted, indurate, insensitive,
inured, lapidified, lost to shame, obdurate, ossified,
pachydermatous, petrified, proof against, reinforced, rigidified,
sclerotic, seared, set, shameless, solidified, steeled,
steeled against, steely, stiffened, stony, strengthened,
thick-skinned, toughened, unblushing, vitrified

Labels: , , ,

15 Comments:

At Saturday, January 09, 2010 10:52:00 PM, Blogger Jim said...

Since when does everything I write have to be true or even be about me?
That goes for the ones I write in first person or not. Just happens this one is.
One exception, if it's a meme poem it's generally true. :-)
..

 
At Saturday, January 09, 2010 11:55:00 PM, Anonymous The Dark Lord said...

Ah, the follow up write in the comments section was so illuminating! Now we know you are NOT party to the "induration" - phenomenon.. But that surely doesnt make your poetry on enduration any less spectacular! Neither that wonder, any less curious! :)

 
At Sunday, January 10, 2010 12:45:00 AM, Blogger spacedlaw said...

Such trees are saving other people's life, helping them with new bones...

 
At Sunday, January 10, 2010 1:20:00 AM, Blogger Amity said...

Hi Jim;

When i looked at the dictionary of what indurated means, it says 'strengthened" and so that's how I interpreted the prompt.

There's similarity to what we wrote. I tried two again this time...but my second attempt is in Haiku form so it was so limited how it was expressed.

Anyways, I admire how you rendered the prompt here. Very good work Jim, as always!

 
At Sunday, January 10, 2010 3:53:00 AM, Blogger anthonynorth said...

Powerful words. Nicely done, as always.

 
At Sunday, January 10, 2010 6:04:00 AM, Blogger Loch Rob said...

I like the way you compare petrified trees as a metaphor to life. I have found pieces of these wonders while traveling out west. A marvel of antiquity for sure. Nicely done Jim.

 
At Sunday, January 10, 2010 7:16:00 AM, Blogger SandyCarlson said...

There's a danger in reading biography into everything a person writes. Not a good habit. Thanks for the insight into this one, Jim.

I thought of petrified trees and then the power and heft that becomes of these life-givers. A good thing? Not a good thing? I don't know. I'll have to check in with Lot's wife.

 
At Sunday, January 10, 2010 7:34:00 AM, Blogger Sherri B. said...

I loved your take on this prompt...so well done!

 
At Sunday, January 10, 2010 12:11:00 PM, Blogger Maggie said...

Jim,

I know what you mean about writing...even when I am writing in the first person, it does not always mean I am that person or even know such a person...it is a Muse thing.

As for your prompt...I think many people are stronger than they may imagine and just not gone through a strong storm for the strength to be visible.

These days, all are strong to laugh, love and live.

 
At Sunday, January 10, 2010 1:47:00 PM, Blogger Tammie Lee said...

The life of a stone, an endless curiosity.

 
At Sunday, January 10, 2010 10:23:00 PM, Blogger Tumblewords: said...

I was thinking of this today - the difference between truth and fiction and degrees in between while writing. Interesting post! I like the way you turned trees to stone and...

 
At Wednesday, January 13, 2010 4:45:00 PM, Blogger Cassiopeia Rises said...

Ah,but Jim have a chance. You know the road ahead. Wonderful imagery.

Melanie

 
At Wednesday, January 13, 2010 7:35:00 PM, Blogger Patti said...

very nice- I know I could not withold the stresses you mentioned. Boy- I learned a new word this week...hear hear for vocabulary!

 
At Thursday, January 14, 2010 11:18:00 AM, Blogger Beth P. said...

I like this, Jim.
Made me think! Hate it when that happens.

 
At Thursday, January 14, 2010 4:59:00 PM, Anonymous one more believer said...

jim, have always enjoyed yr posts, this one especially so....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home