Saturday, January 30, 2021

Sunday Muse Poem- -- The Bad Dream

 


My Problem


I wake up in the morning early 

Much earlier than I want to be 

The roosters haven't started their boast 

There's a hint of sun on window sill 


That's not my problem it's my escape 

Escape from a recurring nightmare 

Always there's lions tigers and snow 

None of which I've befriended before 


The beasts come first growling and roaring 

Tens or maybe a hundred coming 

Deafening noise--think one couldn't sleep 

Heavy snow falls swirling wind are next 


Seems all night long the noise and storming snow 

How could one sleep but I can't wake up 

On come their threatening heads shatp teeth are bared 

Finally the snow has covered the herd 


Yet still their ferocious noise abounds 

'Bunched beneath the snow they wait for me 

Somehow it seems they know I must go 

Out through the tempest rescue my kin 


My mother and my daughter waiting 

Screaming yet trying hard to be still 

While I approach quietly with stealth 

Like a cat staying low hear me not 


Those vicious animals watching kin 

Under the snow nearing  family 

Still surrounded folk see me nearing 

Hopeful suspense what would I do next 


Then the loudest voice I've ever heard 

I'm awake open eyed beasts quiet

The snow remains must cover my kin 

 Other nights I dream again again   

Our back yard a few years ago

[click picture for larger 
view, it's really pretty]

 _ _ _ _ 

 - Poem and snow Photo Copyright, Jimmiehov 2021, All Rights Reserved -- the snow picture was taken a few years ago.  In the Houston area we hardly ever get snow, about once every ten years we might get some.

 - Upper Photo Prompt from Chrissy at Sunday Muse # 145,  http://thesundaymuse.blogspot.com/2021/01/sunday-muse-145.html?m=1 

..

Labels: , , , ,

10 Comments:

At Saturday, January 30, 2021 9:03:00 AM, Blogger Helen said...

I would describe this as a ‘terrifying’ dream ... told in an almost breathless rapid escape. Whew.

 
At Saturday, January 30, 2021 9:24:00 AM, Blogger Carrie Van Horn said...

Indeed this is frightening and would make one want to wake up. I find it shows a bravery in your soul though Jim. Always a pleasure to have you join us at the Muse.

 
At Saturday, January 30, 2021 12:56:00 PM, Blogger  said...

I enjoyed this very much.

 
At Saturday, January 30, 2021 6:30:00 PM, Blogger Truedessa said...

Hi Jim, those dreams can be haunting and terrifying. Its seem during the pandemic many are experiencing nightmares. It snowed here this week experiencing a polar vortex. brrrr...wishing you a peaceful night's rest.

 
At Saturday, January 30, 2021 7:58:00 PM, Blogger qbit said...

The roosters haven't started their boast - great line. And your back yard is amazing!

 
At Sunday, January 31, 2021 7:56:00 AM, Blogger C. Sandlin said...

Ughh--that dream! A rendering that catches the sense of danger and surrealism. Also--that backyard photo was amazing! Set design with snow. :)

 
At Sunday, January 31, 2021 9:05:00 AM, Blogger Zander said...

The descriptors of the dream are spot on - sometimes I wonder how I sleep through all the noise! Well done. Also love that picture

 
At Sunday, January 31, 2021 7:35:00 PM, Blogger robkistner said...

Gawd, what a horrid dream — but g’dam’d beautiful pool!

 
At Wednesday, February 03, 2021 1:53:00 PM, Blogger Susie Clevenger said...

What a troubling dream. You took me right there with you. I am so enjoying your writing of late.

 
At Thursday, February 04, 2021 7:22:00 PM, Blogger purplepeninportland.com said...

You made me feel the tension in the way you wrote this. Love that picture!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home