Sunday, December 20, 2020

Sunday Muse Poem -- Sleepy Writer

 [late singer/songwriter Laura Nyro (1960's plus)] 


 The Late Night Writer 


She writes at night, generally late 

Kids are in bed it's after eight 

Most times it's way later than that 

Hubby and she, in bed may spat 


Then when all is settled and calm 

She peeks at what she's jotted down 

May make sense, often foolishness 

Ideas may come, she's still dressed 


Have a smoke while yet in her head 

Compile her thoughts sits on the bed 

Close her eyes to think, she will nod 

Hot fingers are her wakeup prod 


Quickly she dresses for the bed 

With the pillow temping her head 

Eyes quickly close, bed's her night's home

Finish tomorrow, a song or a poem 

_ _ _ 

Note:  This poem is not about Laura Nyro, rather is about a hypothetical writer much of the like I am.  Many of my writings are done with me sitting on the edge of the bed, often way after midnight.  I'm generally already having my P.J's on.   

                                  _ _ _ 


 - Poem Copyright, Jimmyhov 2020, All Rights Reserved 

 - I am linked with Fireblossom for the Picture inspirational prompt, the Sunday Muse  # 139,  http://thesundaymuse.blogspot.com/2020/12/sunday-muse-139.html?m=1

Labels: , , , , , , ,

11 Comments:

At Sunday, December 20, 2020 6:29:00 AM, Blogger Carrie Van Horn said...

This made me smile Jim. Love the rhyme. Tomorrow is a new day for new poems indeed. Have a great Sunday Jim. 😊

 
At Sunday, December 20, 2020 7:19:00 AM, Blogger Fireblossom said...

I like this, Jim! I can definitely relate!

 
At Sunday, December 20, 2020 8:09:00 AM, Blogger C. Sandlin said...

Excellent rhythm and reminds me to be thankful for everyone who manages to be creative in time's small pockets. :)

 
At Sunday, December 20, 2020 9:57:00 AM, Blogger indybev said...

Sounds like me and one of my "midnight epiphanies"! They always come at night when my brain is not otherwise occupied, I guess. Nice rhyming, Jim.

 
At Sunday, December 20, 2020 10:22:00 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

Well, I can see why her husband might complain! Not only writing in bed, waking him, but smoking! A big no-no. At least she writes her night thoughts down. How many times have most of us thought, "this is good, I'll remember" and then we don't?

 
At Sunday, December 20, 2020 10:52:00 AM, Blogger Truedessa said...

I smiled reading your poem. I wrote mine last night and then went to bed and thought I will fine-tune it in the morning. I knew if I didn't I might only be left with fragments of thoughts.

 
At Sunday, December 20, 2020 11:22:00 AM, Blogger Helen said...

I think she will write a poem, put the poem to music and record it on YouTube.

 
At Sunday, December 20, 2020 2:12:00 PM, Blogger kaykuala said...

Tiredness may impinge negatively on productivity. A downside on those who insist on staying late. Great rhyming Dr Jim!

Hank

 
At Sunday, December 20, 2020 5:11:00 PM, Blogger qbit said...

The image of every songwriter. I can see Bob Dylan and Leonard Cohen in this too. Where poems and songs are one.

 
At Monday, December 21, 2020 1:53:00 PM, Blogger Susie Clevenger said...

I have spent many hours awake at night trying to write words out of my head.

 
At Wednesday, December 23, 2020 2:38:00 PM, Blogger robkistner said...

Strong piece Jim. Well written. I am listening to Laura’s album “Angel In The Dark” as I write this. Damn she was so good. Left us way too soon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home