Sunday, November 03, 2019

A November Poem for Pantry of Poetry and Prose juat Poets United

.

That First Kiss

I've got this thing
and your face reminded me again,
of trying and not ever knowing,
to

remember the first girl
I ever kissed
or vice versa. 

Can you yours?

I do remember a couple
of other firsts, critical two 
One in the first grade,
the other way after
I had dropped out of college

but I can't recall the first girl
I ever kissed
or vice versa

You might exchange the question,
boy for the girl  Was he handsome,
thin or muscular,
dark or light skinned,

or perhaps like your dad
or your brother (it may have been him)

so can you remember then
the first boy that
you ever kissed

I don't remember mine
I wish that I could
She's not a place holder
with the numbers in my mind

She may have been
the girl in the first grade,
the one who took me
by my hand down into
the storm cellar steps

but if she was
I don't remember
that (part)

so can you remember then
the first girl or boy that
you ever kissed

Well?
 _ _ _

 - Photo and Poem Copyright, Jimmiehov 2011 and 2019 respectively, All Rights Reserved 
 - I am linked with Magaly Guerrero in the Pantry of Poetry and Prose at Poets United, http://poetryblogroll.blogspot.com/2019/11/pantry-of-poetry-and-prose-2.html?m=1 

 - The street you see becomes London's Abbey Road ahead at the corner.  That corner crossing is the one pictured on the Beatles prized album jacket.  We were staying with our daughter and her family in a flat building over the sidewalk fence.

Labels: , , , , ,

10 Comments:

At Sunday, November 03, 2019 1:23:00 AM, Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

You know, I would have thought I could, but now I'm not sure. Was it Kent Welsh when we were 6 or 7? Or didn't we? Was it that friend of my cousin's when I was 16? If it was, that was all it was. I remember the ones with those who turned out to be important in my life.

 
At Sunday, November 03, 2019 3:26:00 AM, Blogger Old Egg said...

Yes, I do remember and many years later after we had both lost our own partners we linked up again but only on Facebook. Sadly she died back in July.

 
At Sunday, November 03, 2019 7:12:00 AM, Blogger Vivian Zems said...

You never forget your first kiss :-) I enjoyed reading this.

 
At Sunday, November 03, 2019 8:46:00 AM, Blogger Magaly Guerrero said...

I remember it vividly. Mostly because he was the best friend of one of my brothers. He kissed me without my consent. I was 14, and nearly broke his jaw in response. After all this year, he still twitches a bit when he sees me (perhaps because I still glare at him, and every now and again, show him my fist).

 
At Sunday, November 03, 2019 10:20:00 AM, Blogger Sherry Blue Sky said...

Well said, Jim. I LOVE that you were at Abbey Road. Sigh.

 
At Sunday, November 03, 2019 10:28:00 AM, Blogger brudberg said...

I think I know... but I don't remember the girl... but I do remember how it felt... the closeness of lips... yes that first sensation I do remember.

 
At Sunday, November 03, 2019 11:58:00 AM, Blogger Sanaa Rizvi said...

I remember it like it was yesterday! Beautiful poem, Jim ❤️

 
At Sunday, November 03, 2019 2:00:00 PM, Blogger Audrey Howitt aka Divalounger said...

You know, I have no memory of that first kiss--I think I was so busy trying to be something I wasn't in those days, that the actual memory is elusive--Like this piece a bunch!

 
At Monday, November 04, 2019 6:10:00 AM, Blogger Eileen T O'Neill ..... said...

Jim,

Loved your poem. An upbeat read..First boy kiss was my husband of forty years, all those years ago!!!

 
At Wednesday, November 06, 2019 6:19:00 AM, Blogger Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Of course I can remember the first kiss...but I'll never tell who it was! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home