Tuesday, October 04, 2016

a 'Crash Poem"

Picture by Jimmiehov, copyright 2014, all rights reserved 

I awoke slowly, my head 

I awoke slowly, my head was throbbing, 
my arm was bleeding, am I still alive? 
I remembered that moment, downward we 
Until the next second, seeming eons 

We crashed.  People screaming, babies crying 
Then I fell again, out of consciousness 
I awoke to moaning, hushed sobs, no tears 
Some alive, some wishing death, most were dead 

Then I saw him, silver cane in hand, tall 
Cold were his eyes, a gruesome grey, shining
Red rays emitted, piercing dark corners
Seeming to be searching the rubble, looking 

I began his search, those alive we helped 
Splinted an arm or leg, stopped their bleeding 
Pulled and walked them from the plane, yet no fire 
The dead we piled, strange, he marked with his cane 

When I awoke again all was quiet 
No grimness, no airplane, no bodies seen 
Another man, golden cane in his hand 
Was I dead, was I marked by the other 

No scratches could I feel, my head was clear 
Clear from the scratch of the dead, clear from aches 
No bleeding, no cuts, like it never was 
The man with the golden cane met me then 

Smiling he said, quite an ordeal you had 
It's over now, thanks for helping down there 
We didn't miss a soul, ours are all here 
The living went on, rest marked for the fire 
_ _ _ _ 

Poem copyright © 2016 Jimmiehov, All rights reserved

I am linked twice at the Imaginary Garden with Real Toads.
Once with Kerry O'Conner at A Skyflower Friday -- Shipwreck (link) and
Again with Marian Kent at Tuesday Platform (link)

Labels: , , , , ,

11 Comments:

At Tuesday, October 04, 2016 2:19:00 AM, Blogger Gel said...

Well written. This seems real. (I've been in a crash. This seems too real!)

 
At Tuesday, October 04, 2016 2:43:00 AM, Blogger J Cosmo Newbery said...

Quite a saga.

 
At Tuesday, October 04, 2016 2:55:00 AM, Blogger brudberg said...

Oh this is stark.. like a sea shanty of a shipwreck set in modern times... oh that wreck and the selection process.... one of your best I think

 
At Tuesday, October 04, 2016 3:49:00 AM, Blogger Vanessa Victoria Kilmer said...

Very well done. The form and the subject are perfectly matched. The imagery is very strong.

 
At Tuesday, October 04, 2016 4:15:00 AM, Blogger Dr. Vandana Sharma said...

Is it a dream or reality......

 
At Tuesday, October 04, 2016 5:17:00 AM, Blogger Marian said...

And the rest are marked for fire. Eek!

 
At Tuesday, October 04, 2016 10:39:00 AM, Blogger Gillena Cox said...

Very impressive, quite intriguing really, i still dont know if to accept fact or fiction issues in reading, i smiled, happy for the persona who escaped the wreck of fire (eternal fire no!)

happy Tuesday Jim

much love...

 
At Tuesday, October 04, 2016 10:42:00 AM, Blogger Kerry O'Connor said...

With the numerous aeroplane disasters of recent years, your story awakens all the fears of such a terrible kind of modern day shipwreck. Your point of view places the reader in the crux of the moment with undeniable skill.

 
At Tuesday, October 04, 2016 1:55:00 PM, Blogger Stacie Eirich said...

Quite powerful, Jim - and chilling too - as if a nightmare, but even more chilling the realities of such wreckage, on earth - even more scary is the thought of the eternal fire below. Thanks for sharing.

 
At Wednesday, October 05, 2016 10:02:00 AM, Blogger Susie Clevenger said...

Chilling, realistic....Powerful piece!

 
At Sunday, October 09, 2016 12:37:00 PM, Blogger Margaret said...

What an ending!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home