Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Boater's Dream ― Day 15 of NaPoWriMo 2015

 
A Landlubbers Envy
 
There once was a young man, yearned to have a boat.  As he grew older the boat never came near.  Then in his older years a slick salesman sold him his dream.  He thought.
 
Now stuck with a narrow boat barge and a once a year jaunt down the canal.  That's what was waiting for him.  Petrol was high, insurance through the roof.  He saved for a year, that jaunt cost him nine hundred pounds a day.
 
To save his pennies for a later day the young-now-old man lived on his barge.  His wife would have no part of that and left, back for her city life.
 
His only joy in life now was the annual Little Venice boat show over the early May Bank Holiday weekend.  Others he'd also attend, some taking his boat and others he'd walk or catch a ride.

[click on a picture for larger view, back button to return]
 

 
 
_ _ _
 
 Photos and Poem Copyright © 2015 Jimmiehov, All Rights Reserved
 
I am linked with  , both for Day 15 of National Poem Writing Month -- Phew, April is halfway over.
 
"The challenge is broad--we are in the middle of April,  and I don't intend to be picky about minor details. As long as your poem or prose poem is influenced in some way by the concepts discussed here (of the folly of the dreams of a classic snake-oil salesman J Whittaker Wright), please feel free to run with it as your Muse takes you." (instructions for the day)
 

 
My muse's ex-landlubber above had the dream and was now enduring his folly.  Mrs. Jim and I attended London's Little Venice Canal Boat Show in 2013.  It was an elbow to elbow affair with a carnival atmosphere. The canal boats were stretched and parked in probably a mile stretch. You might like to attend this year? 
Links: 
Canal Events & Festivals 2015 - 2016, http://narrowboats.org/features/canal_events.aspx ;  and
Little Venice Canalway Cavalcade - 2nd - 4th May 2015
  

Labels: , , , ,

14 Comments:

At Wednesday, April 15, 2015 11:19:00 AM, Blogger Sanaa Rizvi said...

Such breath-taking pictures! :D
Loved the poem... though its a bit sad at the end.. but beautiful nonetheless :)
Have a great day ahead :D

 
At Wednesday, April 15, 2015 12:33:00 PM, Blogger hedgewitch said...

Really interesting response and facts, Jim--and I love the pictures. Thanks for playing!

 
At Wednesday, April 15, 2015 1:07:00 PM, Blogger shadowprancer said...

Love the canal boats!

 
At Wednesday, April 15, 2015 2:04:00 PM, Blogger Sherry Blue Sky said...

So sad, the high cost of a dream. I SO RELATE!

 
At Wednesday, April 15, 2015 3:34:00 PM, Blogger brudberg said...

That's a folly I can live with.. do they come with Jacuzzi?

 
At Wednesday, April 15, 2015 8:40:00 PM, Blogger Susie Clevenger said...

Love the photos...Not everyone loves a man's boat as much as he does. :)

 
At Wednesday, April 15, 2015 9:23:00 PM, Blogger Sherry Blue Sky said...

Jim, to respond to your comment on my poem, you would croak at how many kilometers are on my car - 550,000 when I last looked some time ago. And I meant to look with kind eyes - like "mind".,.......

 
At Wednesday, April 15, 2015 10:48:00 PM, Blogger Ella said...

I love your photos and the elbow ride freaked me out~

 
At Wednesday, April 15, 2015 11:34:00 PM, Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Oh dear, that's a high cost of dreaming!

 
At Thursday, April 16, 2015 5:38:00 AM, Blogger Outlawyer said...

Great pics and fun story. You know I lived in England for a year a very long time ago and not so far from a canal --it actually looked like not a terrible life! Though it might get rather soggy! Thanks, Jim. Manicddaily

 
At Thursday, April 16, 2015 8:23:00 AM, Blogger Other Mary said...

Ah, it was always my dad's dream to live part of the year on a boat and sail down the Mississippi. My dad's dream and my mom's nightmare. ;-) Nice one, Jim.

 
At Thursday, April 16, 2015 10:13:00 AM, Blogger Gillena Cox said...

i'll caption that "catch a dream and live your folly, YEAH!!!"

much love...

 
At Thursday, April 16, 2015 3:15:00 PM, Blogger Hannah said...

Love the boat imagery!

 
At Thursday, April 16, 2015 5:23:00 PM, Blogger Sherry Blue Sky said...

Jim, I so appreciate your wonderful comment on my poem about death and would like to respond to it privately but dont have your email address. If you like, email me at wildwoman2@shaw.ca and I will share some thoughts with you. Thanks, kiddo. Your comment really resonates with me. Especially around the depth of grief over our much loved dogs. Truly the hardest loss of my life, took me over four years to stop crying.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home