Monday, July 17, 2023

Grown Girl Advice -- a Poem for dVerse Prosery Night

Barbie Doll, dolled up in Pink

    The Mother's Advice 

"For beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror.”

    Those my mother's words, as I stepped onto the train after we'd exchanged parting hugs. Irritated me a bit, I'm a grown girl who shouldn't need that kind of advice. 

    All was well when I chose my bench seat, all forward facing ones were taken in the section I was assigned.

    Thinking those words over, I know in the sight of many I am a pretty girl, young adult now. Younger less aware should heed them for sure.  

    My thought train was interrupted when the fellow next to edged my way, close making me feel uncomfortable. I gave him a defensive nudge to hint that he was sitting too close. 

    He didn't take that hint, played it like an invitation to come some closer. I jumped up, changed my seat. 


    Mom, you were right. 
     _ _ _ 

 - Poem Copyright, Jimmiehov 2023, All Rights Reserved 
 - I'm linked with Mish at dVerse, Prosery Night
 - Mish has a Poet tonight, Rainer Maria Rilke, chosen for us and are instructed to right a piece of prose, not more than 144 words, including the title.  That first line of his poem, “The First Elegy”, Duinos Elegies, was the opening line of my writing here, The Mother's Advice.' 
 - Click here to read the writings of other participants.
..

Labels: , , , , , ,

13 Comments:

At Monday, July 17, 2023 5:23:00 PM, Blogger Dwight L. Roth said...

An interesting story Jim. Good use of the prompt

 
At Monday, July 17, 2023 7:48:00 PM, Anonymous Jade Li said...

I'm glad she realized early her mom was right. It's a man's world out there and naivete is so quickly exploited :(

 
At Monday, July 17, 2023 8:27:00 PM, Blogger K.Hartless said...

I have those sorts of realizations all the time about my own mother's wisdom. Smooth prose, Jim.

 
At Tuesday, July 18, 2023 3:35:00 AM, Blogger Kim M. Russell said...

I suppose her mother was only looking out for her, but as we know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You don’t have to be beautiful to be a monster’s prey. I’ve always felt uncomfortable on public transport – one is never sure who or what the other travellers might be. ‘I'm a grown girl who shouldn't need that kind of advice’ are famous last words.

 
At Tuesday, July 18, 2023 4:20:00 AM, Blogger Gillena Cox said...

Interesting where the prompt took you Jim. Thanks for dropping by my blog

Much💜love

 
At Tuesday, July 18, 2023 5:27:00 AM, Blogger Merril D. Smith said...

Those creepers on trains--and anywhere--are horrible.

 
At Tuesday, July 18, 2023 7:12:00 AM, Anonymous ben Alexander said...

This is all too common, as you know, Jim.

A reality well captured.

Much love,
David
SkepticsKaddish.com

 
At Tuesday, July 18, 2023 9:34:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

More women should give a sharp nudge accompanied by a very loud, 'Go away!' Very few of us do. We settle for feeling uncomfortable because to object usually results in verbal abuse.

 
At Tuesday, July 18, 2023 10:28:00 AM, Anonymous Mish said...

Mama knew best. Thanks for bringing attention to the topic.

 
At Tuesday, July 18, 2023 12:15:00 PM, Blogger Helen said...

Of course she was ... (I was and still am - I hope.)

 
At Tuesday, July 18, 2023 5:17:00 PM, Anonymous AJ said...

It's usually advisable to listen to your mother, well in sometimes😊

 
At Tuesday, July 18, 2023 10:17:00 PM, Blogger kaykuala said...

There are brash adults who would unnecessarily act rudely to pretty young girls who travel alone! They cowardly do it when male adults are not around!

Hank

 
At Wednesday, July 19, 2023 2:03:00 PM, Blogger Priscilla King said...

Grade seven or eight, my brother nudged me on the school bus. "The X brat's picking on the little Y girl." We saw the two X boys standing up, leaning in. We stood up and leaned in too. Seeing us, the neighbor kids who followed us as we stopped at the store for refreshments stood up too. There were nine of them altogether, five bigger than I was. Somebody nudged the older Y girl, who stood up too. One of the X boys growled at his little sister, "Sit still and leave her alone!" She did. Everyone sat down again. There was no more trouble. The X boys would have had no qualms about starting a fight with the older Y girl, but seeing that other people were taking an interest settled all three X brats right down.

I wish more women had memories like this to call on when young women object to street terrorism.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home