Friday, May 20, 2022

Speak Up -- a Poem for "Friday Writings"



    Go Tell 

If I could speak and you would listen 
I'd speak my peace 
Not popular what I have to say 

I'd buy a stump take it to the park 
Stump for human race 
For all, fairness, opportunity 

But those I'm not permitted to say 
Not in public speak 
It's rigged for the rich and powerful 

Poets arise, say it with your rhymes 
 _ _ _ 
 
 - Photo and Poem Copyright, Jimmiehov 2022, All Rights Reserved 
 - I'm linked with Rosemary for Friday Writings #27,  
 - This week she is asking us what we would say in order to bear witness to these times we are living in, and how it feels to be living in them. 
 - The little book pictured above comes in handy sometimes.  I have another book, "The Complete Works of William Shakespeare," that I bought at a book store in Stratford-upon-Avon when we visited in 1980 but I have mislaid it for now, picture taking time.
 - One of my bucket list items is to attend, auditing, a college class of the works of Shakespeare but I am afraid that is one that will not be fulfilled.  I have waited too long.
 - 61 Words, ten lines, 93 syllables.  Short.  Flash Writing?
..

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

At Thursday, May 19, 2022 11:23:00 PM, Blogger Marja said...

Yes poets arise We will say it with our rhymes Good one

 
At Friday, May 20, 2022 1:15:00 AM, Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Bravo, Jim! We need the noise of a collective of voices, I think – but that can't happen unless each of us stands up and does it individually.

 
At Friday, May 20, 2022 9:30:00 AM, Blogger Thotpurge said...

I do wish for the day when the collective voice of poets would start making a significant difference ..sigh!

 
At Friday, May 20, 2022 10:04:00 AM, Blogger Debi Swim said...

Say it loud in your poems. Maybe people will listen. Maybe not. But you'll feel better.

 
At Friday, May 20, 2022 10:47:00 AM, Blogger Rommy said...

I use my voice any chance I get. LOL, my local politicians are probably tired of reading my letters.

 
At Friday, May 20, 2022 11:19:00 AM, Blogger Helen said...

Say it, sing it, shout it .... yes WRITE it.

 
At Friday, May 20, 2022 12:17:00 PM, Blogger Magaly Guerrero said...

The game is rigged, indeed. It is also true, like your poem suggests, that poetry can provide a twist. And if we are lucky, a twist for the better.

 
At Saturday, May 21, 2022 4:49:00 PM, Blogger Su-sieee! Mac said...

All right, Jim! I’ll shake the tambourine. :-)

 
At Wednesday, May 25, 2022 3:22:00 PM, Blogger Priscilla King said...

Dittos Rommy...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home