Wednesday, May 11, 2022

The Rabbit -- Little Rabbits Just Wanna Have Fun

 

   Little City Rabbits 

Little city rabbits are protected 
Seldom it is they get killed and eaten 
Zoning laws and deed restrictions protect 

Country rabbits on the other hand, they 
They are fair game for whoever can shoot 
Rabbit stew makes for any chef's delight 

I have no good  recipe for that stew, 
don't eat rabbit stew, don't like rabbit stew,
what's more I've never tasted rabbit stew.

Here in town just hawks and alligators 
Those two predators of little rabbits 
They keep the rabbit population down 

[Our front lawn taken standing on the sidewalk leading to the street] 

NOTE:  I have never hunted animals in all my life and I have never tasted rabbit meat.  I did go with my dad once and I have his rifle now.  I have never shot that rifle, a 22 gage.  
My mom would not dress or cook the rabbits that my dad killed.  So he took them to his mother, my grandmother, where she would skin and dress and then cook them. He ate them at Grandmother's house as well.  
 _ _ _ 

 - Photos and Poem Copyright, Jimmiehov 2022, All Rights Reserved 
 - I am linked with Minsky at dVerse, 
where she has asked us to write of "food".
..

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At Thursday, May 12, 2022 4:13:00 PM, Blogger Misky said...

My grandmother used to make rabbit stew on Sundays. Chicken, truly, tastes like chicken. Thanks for lovely poem, Jim.

 
At Sunday, May 15, 2022 3:17:00 PM, Blogger paeansunplugged said...

Never tasted rabbit meat. They are too cute to eat.

 
At Monday, May 16, 2022 7:18:00 PM, Blogger Grace said...

I have not tasted one myself. But wild animals keep the numbers down.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home