Saturday, October 10, 2020

A Flashlight Poem -- for Sunday Muse # 129


Light for My Path


She holds the light 

In the dark I cannot see 

Light I need 

for I'm afraid of the dark 


She holds the light 

She came I bribed her with the light

My little sister 

keeping me company 


She holds the light 

Bedtime walk out in the dark 

Outhouse is there 

a football field length away 


She holds the light 

so that we can see bad guys 

ghosts and goblins 

and other scary things 


She holds the light 

Now behind chicken house 

Outhouse is there 

under the trees in the dark 


She holds the light 

while I'm sitting on a seat 

Though a two seater 

we go in one at a time 


Other holds the light 

stays outside alone in the dark 

And when we're done 

back we trudge,  she holds the light 

 _ _ _ 


This was an almost true nightly episode in my life.  Athough the year my sister was born, five years after me, we got electricity and indoor plumbing in the house, we used the toilet and tub sparingly.  Mom could use both, my little sister the tub.  

So she, Dad, and I used our outdoor outhouse in the grove back behind the chickenhouse.  There were no lights that shone back there.   As a country boy I was not allowed to be afraid of the dark.  But I did not like to be out alone after dark.  

We had a flashlight and I always had Sister carry it, which she liked doing, so that she would come out with me.   I do not remember either of us going out there after dark.  Bathing?  Dad and I showered by the washing machine out in the back porch.  Sister used that a few times but mostly the tub.  Dad had to scrap the cesspool once and he didn't want to do that ever again. 

https://jimmiehov.blogspot.com/search?q=Lois&m=1 

..tm

th
Th.tThe way the outhouse looked the last time I saw it.  A tree had fallen on it.  But since that the new ownner bulldozed it down and burned the rubble 

_ _ _ 


 - Poem Copyright, Jimmiehov 2020, All Rights Reserved 

 - I am linked The Sunday Muse # 129 for the picture prompt at  http://thesundaymuse.blogspot.com/2020/10/sunday-muse-129.html?m=1

9 Comments:

At Saturday, October 10, 2020 3:12:00 PM, Blogger Carrie Van Horn said...

What a memory Jim and wonderfully told. You should write a memoir!

 
At Saturday, October 10, 2020 3:50:00 PM, Blogger qbit said...

LOLOL! Great. Completely unexpected.

 
At Saturday, October 10, 2020 4:18:00 PM, Blogger indybev said...

There are many similarities in our childhoods, Jim. Our little house on the prairie had 3 bedrooms and a path too! Never went at night, though. We kept a "chamber pot" under the bed for necessities! I enjoyed your memories!

 
At Saturday, October 10, 2020 5:16:00 PM, Blogger robkistner said...

This put a big smile on my face Jim... :) ...when ya gotta ya gotta go... BTW, well written!

 
At Saturday, October 10, 2020 6:09:00 PM, Blogger Helen said...

What’s going on here??!! You have taken over my childhood though it was always me holding the light. Love it.

 
At Sunday, October 11, 2020 8:00:00 AM, Blogger C. Sandlin said...

This was a fun celebration of your sister! Bravery is much stronger when shared. :)

 
At Sunday, October 11, 2020 12:08:00 PM, Blogger Sherry Blue Sky said...

That would be a scary walk for young kids in the dark of a country night. I loved reading about this memory of childhood, Jim. I love such stories. We old ones have a kazillion stories about those times that kids these days would find amazing.

 
At Sunday, October 11, 2020 6:35:00 PM, Blogger Truedessa said...

As a child I was afraid of the dark. I would definitely need someone to go with me. I am so glad I just had to turn on a switch.

 
At Monday, October 12, 2020 3:15:00 PM, Blogger Susie Clevenger said...

Oh I remember those days. We lived in the country with few outside lights to brighten the night. I was blessed to have either of my sisters carry a light for me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home