Sunday, May 31, 2020

A Poem for Writer's Pantry


      Josh Hild, Downtown, Unsplash

Life Goes On;
  for some it does

Life goes on
that's been my lecture for years
That I was told when
my first doggy died
For some it did but not for Von
Our latest dog, Adi died several year ago
I missed them dearly and for me it has not gone on
And my tears wouldn't bring them back

Life goes on
That was what I was told
But for my dear grandfather it did not
He was my pal
My comforter when things got rough at home
And my tears wouldn't bring him back

Life goes on
Minnie was my pony all mottled and white
But to me she was shiny and bright
Though she was old
for me she learned to jump
Autumns were hot but
the thee miles to school were but naught
and in the cold snowy blowing winds
she didn't seem to mind
For her my tears wouldn't
bring her back

Life goes on
That's what I was told when
my wife and mother of my four kids
left for a new life
She'll be back, those were her mother's words
But she was not
For her my tears have stopped
We both have had new lives
for the better

Life goes on
Getting old means old friends and new pass away
They do, all around
We miss them but they are
gone to stay
For them our tears don't
bring them back

Life goes on
That's what we are told when
People in our hood die at the hands of the law
They didn't mean to kill, . . . . . . 
most, even when police lives are on the line
But . . . . . .
When arrested and she dies in jail hanged herself
for changing lanes without signaling
Or . . . . . . .  
when their doors are broken down
faulty warrant based on suspicion and lies innocent couple,
our neighbors shot and killed
(a warrant factory based on lies and hate hundreds were finally set free)
Or . . . . . .  
when a local
moved to Minnesota and was killed by choking,
knee on neck, even when
he cried out loud, "I can't breath!!!"
Those were neighbors we have missed
our tears won't bring them back

BTW, Big Floyd's farewell service will be held next week here in Houston, Texas, where he grew up. 

our tears won't bring him back 
 _ _ _ _

 - Poem Copyright, Jimmiehov 2020, All Rights Reserved
 - Photo copied from Sanaa at the link below
 - I'm linked with Sanaa Rizvi at the Writer's Pantry #22, https://poetsandstorytellersunited.blogspot.com/2020/05/writers-pantry-22-onward-june.html  
 - I started this Saturday night but hadn't wanted to post it.  But for myself it needs to be said.  Big Floyd will be missed.  He attended school in our neighborhood, played pro football for the Cleveland team, moved to Minnesota for employment, and had played with a Hip Hop music group here in Houston.  I have a feeling that his funeral will be shown on BET-TV (DirecTV channels 329 and 329-1, Dish at 124).
https://www.bet.com/music/2020/05/27/big-floyd-houston-rapper.html

Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

At Sunday, May 31, 2020 11:37:00 PM, Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Wow! Powerful stuff, and I think it very much needs to be said.

 
At Monday, June 01, 2020 10:20:00 AM, Blogger Helen said...

Life goes on, the cost is high.

 
At Monday, June 01, 2020 12:09:00 PM, Blogger Sanaa Rizvi said...

This is incredibly poignant!

 
At Monday, June 01, 2020 12:26:00 PM, Blogger James said...

life goes on. i should be ready for that when it happens. oh my, i'm teary-eyed. thanks for the poem.

 
At Monday, June 01, 2020 10:46:00 PM, Blogger Old Egg said...

The whole world is aghast at the cruelty of that police officers and clearly others of his kind. US citizens must be stronger and insist on fair and just law officers.

 
At Wednesday, June 03, 2020 2:42:00 AM, Blogger J Cosmo Newbery said...

Life does go on. The options are few, it seems.

 
At Wednesday, June 03, 2020 8:09:00 AM, Blogger Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Sobering poem for sobering days, Jim.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home