Sunday, April 26, 2020

NaPoWriMo Day 26 - a Memory Rewind

Hometown Memory;
on Rewind

Can you remember
school day mornings
Before school time
how you got there

Might not be big,
Or you
got bullied bad
walked with teacher
messed your dad's truck

I'll pick the last
Farm boy drives Dad's
pickup to school
Bring back to mind

Rewind morning
(change not allowed)

Drop cousins off
Go get friend Ron
Drive back to school
Smoke on the way

Trouble starts there
Fishing for match
Road work ahead
Knocked sawhorse down

Seated for class
Principle calls
"Come to office"
Sheriff was there

Scared stuff was me

"Kid, what'cht you do?"
Big big silence
"Why'd you push stuff
Down into the hole?"

"Sawhorse and dirt"
Accident? Could-
-nt say smoking
"Dirt's on your truck"

I didn't tell
"I don't want to
see you again"
And he did not

None ever knew
Not my cousins
Not my sister
Not my parents

But now I've told

(Curtain lowered
and that's all folks)
Rewind finished
_ _ _

- Poem and Photo Copyright, Jimmiehov 2020, All Rights Reserved
- I am linked with Kerry O'Connor at http://withrealtoads.blogspot.com/2020/04/april-2020-days-26-30.html?m=1
- and from there to Karin aka Outlawyer at https://withrealtoads.blogspot.com/2019/04/reboot-rewind-recycle-rebirth-poems-in.html?m=1 where I chose "REWIND" as prompt
- Also I am linked to NaPoWriMo Day 26 at  http://www.napowrimo.net/day-twenty-six-6/ where I chose "HOMETOWN MEMORY" as prompt

 
  a 1949 Ford F-1 Pickup
(MAY 2010 NAPA Calendar) 

Note: 
 - I drove my dad's 1949 Ford F-1 pickup to high school in town for my last two years, the first I rode my horse to a closer counyry school.  Two of my younger cousins rode with me to town.  
 - There were two other incidents from which we were rescued (besides three accidents where the other driver was at fault), both I was stuck and had to be pulled.  
 - Once from a snowdrift that had grown across the road, the other when I tried to U-turn out in a field but I didn't know the "frost had gone out."

Labels: , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

At Sunday, April 26, 2020 2:05:00 PM, Blogger Sherry Blue Sky said...

This reminds me of one night when my best friend decided to roll her dad's car down the driveway without permission and drive us into town. She started the engine at the bottom of the hill. An oncoming car had an unlit headlight, she didnt see it and turned right into it. I remember her saying "My dad's gonna kill me."

 
At Sunday, April 26, 2020 9:03:00 PM, Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

A most entertaining reminiscence. (Not so amusing at the time.)

 
At Monday, April 27, 2020 1:32:00 AM, Blogger Kim M. Russell said...

Nothing so exciting for me, Jim. I would have loved to ride a horse to school, and my dad didn’t have a car, we didn’t even have a telephone in our house. I walked to school and then later travelled on a bus. I suppose your ‘accident’ had to come out some day.

 
At Monday, April 27, 2020 9:15:00 AM, Blogger Sanaa Rizvi said...

Memories are most of the time bittersweet. Some we like to revisit while others remind us that we are stronger than yesterday 💝💝

 
At Monday, April 27, 2020 12:16:00 PM, Blogger Jim said...

Only you and eight
other readers know.
..

 
At Monday, April 27, 2020 4:39:00 PM, Blogger Susie Clevenger said...

Oh, we all have those kid secrets we hope never get out...my youngest sister spills most of mine.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home