Wednesday, February 26, 2020

a Poem -- Tribute to a Red Fruit


A Broken Ode to a 
Wannabe Romantic 
Red Tomato 

Tomato ripe and red our love's so young
Forever on my mind I think of you
Your red lips parted place for tooth or tongue
Little brown love nuggets they call, some do 

Doctor says I can't have you anymore 
Those brown nuggets colon irritators 
We played like the morrow was here to stay
That came to a stop when we knew the score 

You left and so I eat mashed potatoes 
Now I miss you so since  you've gone away 
 _ _ _ _  

- Photos and Poem Copyright,  Jimmiehov 2020, All Rights Reserved
 - I am linked with Sanaa Rizvi at Weekly Scribbles, https://poetsandstorytellersunited.blogspot.com/2020/02/weekly-scribblings-8-red-fruit-rendition.html?m=1

 - At first this was to be an Ode to the Red Tomato but that really didnt work out well.  I did have some lines so I kept on writing for the result you see.
 - It does have the conventional rhyme scheme, Ode Format (??),
ABAB CDEC DE . 
Still I will try some more soon.

 - Sanaa asked of us, "Your challenge today is to write while inspired by red fruit. Fruit as a metaphor, analogy, a persisting idiom, as a symbol or even ..."  Her illustration is below, 
Still Life with Ewer and Fruit 
by Milne Ramsey, Pinterest


Labels: , , , , ,

10 Comments:

At Wednesday, February 26, 2020 11:18:00 PM, Blogger Old Egg said...

That is life isn't it? That what we like the best is the very thing we shouldn't consume.

 
At Thursday, February 27, 2020 2:39:00 AM, Blogger Kim M. Russell said...

I sympathise, Jim. I too have certain foods that I love but shouldn’t eat and suffer when I do. I love the title of this poem!

 
At Thursday, February 27, 2020 8:32:00 AM, Blogger Misky said...

Oooh such a shame for you.

 
At Thursday, February 27, 2020 8:50:00 AM, Blogger Sanaa Rizvi said...

I so relate to this poem, Jim! There are many items that I love but cannot eat anymore. 💝

 
At Thursday, February 27, 2020 9:59:00 AM, Blogger Helen said...

I couldn’t do without tomatoes, carried four children through summer months ~~~ I lived on them. Surprised I didn’t deliver tomato tinged offspring!

 
At Thursday, February 27, 2020 1:04:00 PM, Blogger  said...

Thank goodness mashed potatoes are so delicious! But yes, that would be heartbreaking to lose tomatoes. :(

 
At Thursday, February 27, 2020 10:46:00 PM, Blogger Gillena Cox said...

Luv tomatoes, Jim. But your poems might be an anolgy of life itself, whete you thknk youbare going in one direction and life leads you in another
Enjoy the mash potato road too, they are good sustanence

Thanks for dropping by my blog

Much❤love

 
At Friday, February 28, 2020 7:38:00 PM, Blogger purplepeninportland.com said...

I hate when the foods you love most no longer love you. Good one, Jim!

 
At Friday, February 28, 2020 8:20:00 PM, Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Oh, so sweet and funny and true. How we do cherish our favourite foods and mourn if the relationship must end!

 
At Sunday, March 01, 2020 6:37:00 AM, Blogger Rommy said...

My husband had to give up a lot of his favorites when he became diabetic. He manages his diet quite well, but I can see he still longs for certain things.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home