Wednesday, January 22, 2020

A Sailor's Short Poem


Sailing the Open Seas 

I sail the open Seas 
Popeye the Sailor Man 
Was my  childhood idol 

Now I'm grown and strong 
Living my childhood dreams 
Big ships and little boats 

Wherever I can catch 
a ship to swab its deck 
Sailor Man I'm for hire 

I cook a mean beef stew 
or fry the fish I hook 
 _ _ _




 - Photos and Poem  Copyright, Jimmiehov 2020, All Rights Reserved
 - I am linked with Sanaa Rizvi who is hosting Weekly Scribbles  at https://poetsandstorytellersunited.blogspot.com/2020/01/weekly-scribblings-3-salt-water-poems.html?m=1

 - The photo of Old Salty is of my favorite Old Maid character.  The 'at sea' pictures are some of the many I took on my Sabbatical 30 day cruise from Dubai to Cape Town with stops along the way. 

11 Comments:

At Wednesday, January 22, 2020 1:04:00 AM, Blogger Jim said...

The other stops along the way to South Africa were other UAE countries and Oman, four in Turkey, several islands in the Indian Ocean, and four more in Africa.  It was a nice cruise, bucket list. We hadn't been to any of these places.
..

 
At Wednesday, January 22, 2020 1:30:00 AM, Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Oh, I like this so much! Firstly, who doesn’t warm to Popeye? And then, I too love boating and fishing (though have not, so far, been on any cruises).

 
At Wednesday, January 22, 2020 2:13:00 AM, Blogger Anjum Wasim Dar said...

wonderful

 
At Wednesday, January 22, 2020 3:05:00 AM, Blogger Sanaa Rizvi said...

Oh I absolutely love this!!💝 Popeye was/is a favorite of mine growing up. It's such a joy living one's childhood dreams isn't it? Thank you so much for writing to the prompt, Jim 🍹

 
At Wednesday, January 22, 2020 2:19:00 PM, Blogger Gillena Cox said...

Oh yes i remember Popeye and Olive and Brutus. What a 3 some.
Happy Wednesday Jim

Much❤love

 
At Wednesday, January 22, 2020 3:16:00 PM, Blogger indybev said...

Well, you deck-swabbing sailor man! I'll bet your Olive cooks your fish for you!

 
At Wednesday, January 22, 2020 6:40:00 PM, Blogger Old Egg said...

Isn't it strange that so many of our childhood memories and activities stick with us over the years. Just a piece of advice Jim...being a sailor man is still hard work!

 
At Thursday, January 23, 2020 10:29:00 AM, Blogger Magaly Guerrero said...

I used to love the adventures of Popeye and Olive (with dear Brutus always trying some new mischief). And I liked the show even more after a friend of my father's told me that it was used to try to get people to eat more spinach. I like a cool ploy that gets people to eat things that are good for them.

So glad you get to do as an adult what you love seeing as a child. And, yum! the results of your adventures look delicious.

 
At Thursday, January 23, 2020 12:47:00 PM, Blogger Linda Lee Lyberg said...

Fantastic!

 
At Thursday, January 23, 2020 2:35:00 PM, Blogger Vivian Zems said...

Popeye was one of my favourite characters. Love this!

 
At Thursday, January 23, 2020 4:05:00 PM, Blogger R's Rue said...

Beautiful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home