Saturday, August 19, 2017

Walking and Seeing ~~ A Mini Poem for Sunday

 
Walking in the moonlight with Mom;
"I can see the great uncomplicated thing" 
 
We'd go walk around the block Mom and me
A little girl, about five I would guess
Maybe four or six, can't remember well
The Moon was bright, fuzzy as usual
Remember the night, last time for a bit
 
Then one evening we went again, us two
Moon was bright, I could see the sidewalk cracks
Next remembered looking up, sight to see!
"Mother, I can see the Man in the Moon!"
"Uncomplicated Things" doctors can fix
 
_ _ _ _
 
 - Photo and Poem Copyright © 2017, 2010, 2008 (photos) and 2017 (Poem) Jimmiehov, All Rights Reserved
 - Photo at top is a "Print Screen" copied from Kerry's post below 
 - Photo below the poem was published on my other blog in 2008 and 2010 

 - I'm linked with, at the Imaginary Garden with Real Toads, Micro Poetry ~ Uncomplicated Things,  http://withrealtoads.blogspot.com/2017/08/micro-poetry-uncomplicated-things.html

 - Kelly's instructions are, "This weekend, our frame of reference is "Uncomplicated Things" - from the second line of the poem, The Moon, by Leonard Cohen. "  Then build a short mini-poem around that line as inspiration, ten lines or less (I have ten lines).
 - Notes:
 - - In a couple of places I purposely confused the correct form of pronouns (note especially for a certain daughter, then for my sister, and for other unnamed ladies, who are keepers of the straight)

 - I have deleted a small amount of text, third line from Cohen's poem as it was unsuitable for some of my younger readers.

 - - The "Moon Jar" pictured above was made by pottery artist, Helen Garriott.  This jar and companion "Sun Jar" were of limited production, each one handcrafted. (previously posted in 2008 and 2010 in my other blog - link).  Helen Garriott (link) was the wife of Owen Garriott (link), Sky Lab Astronaut and is mother of Richard Garriott (link) who is a civilian who paid his own way to ride up the Space Lab. 
 
 - - The cougar behind is a print by Charles Fracé, a nature painting artist. Mine is autographed by him, "To: Jim", and represents my college, The University of Houston, and its athletes, the Houston Cougars. Mrs. Jim gave me the picture after having it so nicely framed.
.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

14 Comments:

At Saturday, August 19, 2017 5:09:00 PM, Blogger Margaret said...

Walks with Mom in the moonlight - very endearing.

 
At Saturday, August 19, 2017 5:51:00 PM, Blogger hyperCRYPTICal said...

I remember the man in the moon...alas I don't see him now...perhaps lost innocence?
Anna :o]

 
At Saturday, August 19, 2017 7:57:00 PM, Blogger tonispencer said...

Very endearing poem. I love the moon jar and the picture Mrs. Jim had framed for you. Love at its simplest and most honest. Toni Spencer is Kanzensakura.

 
At Saturday, August 19, 2017 8:45:00 PM, Blogger Sherry Blue Sky said...

I loved thinking of the child seeing the man in the moon, remembering when i was her.

 
At Sunday, August 20, 2017 12:51:00 AM, Blogger Julian said...

Things doctors can't fix.........man in the moon. Good read here

 
At Sunday, August 20, 2017 3:36:00 AM, Blogger Sanaa Rizvi said...

This is so wonderfully sweet and tender, Jim!💘

 
At Sunday, August 20, 2017 5:33:00 AM, Blogger Kerry O'Connor said...

It was a bold move to write from the point of view of a favoured female family member. This makes the poem all the more special.

 
At Sunday, August 20, 2017 5:56:00 AM, Blogger Old Egg said...

How simple and beautiful life as a child seems now looking back from bedlam in the world today.

 
At Sunday, August 20, 2017 7:05:00 AM, Blogger Paul John Dear said...

Man in the moon and mom. Nice.

 
At Sunday, August 20, 2017 8:47:00 AM, Blogger brudberg said...

I have been told I asked my father to take down the moon for me... but I never saw a man there.

 
At Monday, August 21, 2017 7:32:00 AM, Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

I was 9 before they discovered I needed specs. It made such a difference!!!

 
At Monday, August 21, 2017 9:58:00 AM, Blogger kaykuala said...

The moon can inspire with lots of possibilities. One has to be close to its being!

Hank

 
At Monday, August 21, 2017 11:57:00 PM, Blogger Susie Clevenger said...

I remember when I put on my glasses for the first time as a child. I looked up at the trees, and marveled how I could see not a blur, but leaves.

 
At Tuesday, August 22, 2017 5:35:00 AM, Blogger Outlawyer said...

Ha! At first, I thought the doctors you were invoking were psychiatrists and I hoped that they would not fix such things! Charming poem, Jim. K.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home