Saturday, August 09, 2014

Skeletons

 

The telling of my skeletons
 
I love to tell of my skeletons, brash
Grotesque, once they roamed the prairies with pride
Instead today, they hang around my house
 
There is this other fellow
he's thriving in my closet

[click on pictures to enlarge]
 
Photos and poem copyright, Jimmiehov 2014, all rights reserved
 
Today I am linked with at the Real Toads, Artistic Interpretations (link)
 
Margaret has an excellent of post showing skeletons on display by various artists.  Go see (link).  She also has asked us for our "artistic  interpretations."  This was mine, very simple, like I am.
 
The steer head skull I have here is one I rescued from my 'bachelor son', Tim.  He had is laying under a tree in his front yard (garden to U.K. people) .  I had always wanted one and now have this one on my request.  Thanks, Tim.  The red is two-fold, a University of Nebraska flag, but it also represents the matador's cape just in case he could have had a Skelton in his closet.
 
We have a family skeleton our closet.  It belonged to Mom, she died with all the details, keeping it well.  I would have loved to have known more, she was a bit ashamed of it (or more perhaps like did not want to boast). 
There was this family, we believe with royalty, with a person in Mom's line who married out of favor and as a result was disowned.  There were two mysterious visitors who came, once when she was younger and still at home.  He was wearing a uniform, perhaps like a Prussian.  We don't know details of this visit. 
Then after WWII someone came, Dad said he was offering money which she declined.  Reparation funds we all think.  Sounds of a Charles Dickens' tale.  I loved reading Bleak House (Link).

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

At Saturday, August 09, 2014 12:50:00 PM, Blogger Sherry Blue Sky said...

We have a steer head too and are awaiting a bison head.........they are awesome. I cant see the fellow in your closet, given my poor eyesight.......as always, I enjoyed your post, Jim.

 
At Saturday, August 09, 2014 1:45:00 PM, Blogger Magaly Guerrero said...

I really love the poetry, tales and memories Margarete's prompt brought out of us. Your skull offers a happy glimpse into your son's yard, the things you like and how you feel about them. Then comes the prose with the mystery of the skeleton in your mom's closet. Which tells us not only about how far back your family goes, but also a bit about your mom's moral fiber.

Yep, I truly enjoy prompts that evoke living poetry.

 
At Saturday, August 09, 2014 2:41:00 PM, Blogger brudberg said...

A thriving skeleton in the closet .. hmm yes I guess there's a reason why people have build walk-in closets.

 
At Sunday, August 10, 2014 3:08:00 AM, Blogger audrey` said...

We like this sentence "This was mine, very simple, like I am." Dr & Mrs Jim :)

 
At Sunday, August 10, 2014 8:35:00 AM, Blogger Grace said...

Seeing skeletons displayed, I imagined what their life have been ~ I so enjoyed your family's skeletons, every one, including mine, has one or two ~ Ever mysterious, I too wondered at their different journeys ~

 
At Monday, August 11, 2014 12:49:00 AM, Blogger Susie Clevenger said...

Every family has skeletons...Thankfully we don't display them proudly on our walls. :)

 
At Monday, August 11, 2014 3:08:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah we all have skeletons. I am so intrigued by yours. I wonder what all stories your mom had.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home