Sunday, October 11, 2009

One Single Impression: Talisman

Mr. Talisman.
Who is the tallest man you ever knew?
Mr. Talisman was eight feet
seven inches so he said
when he wasn't joking
which was most often.
Or else he would say he didn't know
as his altimeter was broken and
Medicare wouldn't pay for having it fixed.

Mr. Talisman, they said,
(I may call him Tall Man from hereon in)
played basketball in his younger days.
.

Because of the notoriety,
yes, he was notorious,
we all dreaded to hear him coming.
For sure it would be an hour or more
before we could get away.

.
The kids all called him
Talis'boy back then.
That is why
I have come
to call him Talisman.

I will tell a tale about
this Mr. Talisman,
seems he liked his ale.
Adding to his ale problem
he would attend frequent
drinking parties. Now that
could never have been good for him.

The next day after
one such party
Tall Man was working off his hangover
by taking a walk in the sunshine.
He walked through the park,
the one that ends on top of the little hill.
.

Our Tall Man was in no shape
this morning to climb the hill
so he leisurely strolled on the promenade
which went round and round
ending nowhere.

On that walk,
that sun shiny day,
he passed a bench
where two little ladies were talking away.
Like they were solving
the town's problems,
they were so serious in their talks were they.
Others said it was pure gossip
they were telling.

One of the ladies stopped Tall Man
and modestly, sheepishly,
and shyly asked
if he ever told his age.
"Why no, I don't. I never tell anyone my age."
Then the other lady said
she thought they could
guess his age correctly if he would follow
a few of their simple rules.

Tall Man thought this over very briefly,
then he said, "I'm game." So the ladies
had this man turn around three times,
drop his drawers, and pat himself
on the behind five times.
After this he was to stand up
and they would guess his age.

Having done
all of these ladies' silly requests,
Tall Man stood up and said,
"So, what is my age?"

"Eighty-three," both of them chimed
at the same time, "you are eighty-three years old."
"Oh, you are so clever, I would think
no one could tell my age that way."

"It isn't the way that's important,
we just wanted to see you do
a few more of those gyrations.
You do remember?
You were doing them at the party last night."

Moral of this story? Ale and little old ladies can make you look stupid.


Copyright © 2009 Jimmiehov
All Rights Reserved

.

Find more poems at One Single Impression
"Descent" as prompt was
suggested by Joseph Harker of
Naming Constellations

Labels: , , ,

26 Comments:

At Saturday, October 10, 2009 7:44:00 PM, Blogger SandyCarlson said...

You make me laugh and smile. I love your wry humor and your insight. Thanks, Jim.

 
At Saturday, October 10, 2009 7:54:00 PM, Blogger gautami tripathy said...

What a great way to start my sunday morning! I loved this very much. Now I will smile all day long.

solidified

 
At Sunday, October 11, 2009 1:16:00 AM, Blogger Maggie said...

Jim,
I feel the same way as Sandy...I am still laughing.

 
At Sunday, October 11, 2009 2:51:00 AM, Blogger anthonynorth said...

Loved the humour in this. I remember the occasional night I don't remember ;-)

 
At Sunday, October 11, 2009 7:39:00 AM, Anonymous The Dark Lord said...

This one was so hilarious!!! Certainly a great poem to start a sunday, ty!!
Like the toning, the way it progressed... and the oh-so-wise moral!! Bravo to you!

 
At Sunday, October 11, 2009 11:01:00 AM, Blogger sgreerpitt said...

a good laugh is a precious gift -- especially this week. Thank you so much Jim, not only for the poem but for your kind words about my father.

 
At Sunday, October 11, 2009 11:15:00 AM, Blogger spacedlaw said...

Fun story!

 
At Sunday, October 11, 2009 11:47:00 AM, Blogger Tammie Lee said...

ale and little old ladies eh.
this is a fun read, thank you.

 
At Sunday, October 11, 2009 12:00:00 PM, Blogger Quiet Paths said...

You are a hoot! How do you come up with this stuff? thanks for the smiles, Jim.

PS: that is not me playing the Ukulele! Her name is Danelle.. she does not really say.

 
At Sunday, October 11, 2009 1:30:00 PM, Blogger Sherri B. said...

LOL...this one was lighthearted and wonderfully silly. Brought a smile to my face! Thanks for sharing your clever words and sense of humor. :~)

 
At Sunday, October 11, 2009 5:10:00 PM, Blogger annalarssonphotography said...

I love your humour!
Thanks for sharing this :)

 
At Sunday, October 11, 2009 7:42:00 PM, Blogger Tumblewords: said...

Love the humor in this piece - a talisman, indeed!

 
At Sunday, October 11, 2009 8:08:00 PM, Anonymous April Belle said...

Oh Jim! Remind me not to drink around you, lol. And I'll definitely remember not to hang around little old ladies! Snicker. :)

 
At Sunday, October 11, 2009 11:24:00 PM, Blogger Kathie Brown said...

Very funny! I like story poems.

 
At Monday, October 12, 2009 6:12:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

jim...what a great ,fun, poem...

i loved it...

 
At Monday, October 12, 2009 10:30:00 AM, Anonymous Married to Singaporean said...

Fun, and your poem makes me laugh, it cheers up my day.

 
At Monday, October 12, 2009 2:08:00 PM, Blogger Beth P. said...

Geez, Jim, is this autobiographical?!!

Made me smile too...thanks! Tall Man probably had a talisman to match.

 
At Monday, October 12, 2009 3:55:00 PM, Anonymous if said...

I enjoyed this...:)

 
At Tuesday, October 13, 2009 8:35:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehehe... Mr.Talisman... :) WOW!!

 
At Tuesday, October 13, 2009 11:20:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heee...haw.haw..Jim.Thank you for sharing the beautiful poem cum story...loved the plot and the moral of the story! You certainly have a way to make people laugh.

 
At Tuesday, October 13, 2009 11:34:00 AM, Blogger Geraldine said...

LOL...love that last line Jim!!! ;<)

 
At Tuesday, October 13, 2009 2:12:00 PM, Blogger Yellow Tulip said...

cute one...:)...he he:)..thank u for sharing:)..now i'm still smiling:)....ale and old ladies!!..he he..

 
At Tuesday, October 13, 2009 7:00:00 PM, Anonymous gel said...

Oh my oh MY OH OH OH! Jim, I am in stitches! You are so much fun!

BTW, I want to be added to the blogroll of this site please, not your other one. I became confused which one was for poetry.

 
At Wednesday, October 14, 2009 10:36:00 AM, Blogger Nessa said...

Very funny story and a great take on the word.

 
At Wednesday, October 14, 2009 6:28:00 PM, Blogger Patti said...

Very cute Jim! I loved your humor and never saw the ending coming!!! Thank you so much for the wonderfully kind and heartfelt comment you left- I really appreciate it and your friendship. It all makes the hard times a little easier~

 
At Thursday, October 15, 2009 8:50:00 AM, Blogger Patois42 said...

That's too funny. Oh, thank you, Jim, for making my day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home