Saturday, May 18, 2019

A Saturday Poem - Irony and Satire?

“Remember when we drank coffee with the paper?”
by P.Byrnes @ New Yorker Magazine
 
 
All Good Things;
have to end

Off to a good start
I'm half way down the bottle
Forgot where I live

You did a good job
I asked for the one with worms
Bottom here's nothing

Through with funnies yet
Family Circle and Blondie
Good reading at work

Oh good dripped your Scotch
I wish you'd switch to vodka
Save your smell for home

Writer's Note:  I'm not so good with puns.
  _ _ _

 - Poem Copyright, Jimmiehov 2019, All Rights Reserved
 - Cartoon from "The New Yorker" and copied from Magaly at the link below.  A couple reading the morning news.  They are inspiration to write, I used one cartoon of the three.
 - I'm linked with Magaly Guerrero in the Imaginary Garden  at http://withrealtoads.blogspot.com/2019/05/weekend-mini-challenge-oh-poetic-irony.html?m=1
 - Magaly has asked for satire and irony, not agony.  But do notice each verse uses the word "good".  If you can find any tell me in a comment.

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

At Saturday, May 18, 2019 5:49:00 PM, Blogger Magaly Guerrero said...

Your notes and labels have me rolling. I'm not good with puns either, the first two lines are funny (I laugh easily, lol) and ironic in the whole starting in the middle bit. The "irony, not agony" in the note made me cackle (I told you I laugh easily). I noticed all the "good". 😁

 
At Saturday, May 18, 2019 5:50:00 PM, Blogger Magaly Guerrero said...

P.S. The prompt doesn't ask for satire or irony, just to use the offered pieces as inspiration.

 
At Saturday, May 18, 2019 7:26:00 PM, Blogger tonispencer said...

Funny poem Jim!

 
At Sunday, May 19, 2019 12:31:00 AM, Blogger Margaret said...

... when bad is good and good is... sarcastic :)

 
At Sunday, May 19, 2019 9:36:00 AM, Blogger Marian said...

Honestly it's probably for the best that they didn't serve you tequila!

 
At Sunday, May 19, 2019 10:22:00 AM, Blogger brudberg said...

I don't think I could handle that much tequila

 
At Sunday, May 19, 2019 11:05:00 AM, Blogger Jim said...

I had tequila in mind but I needed a spirit with only two syllables.
..

 
At Sunday, May 19, 2019 12:49:00 PM, Blogger Sherry Blue Sky said...

Seems as good a way as any to handle the evening news. Smiles.

 
At Sunday, May 19, 2019 2:08:00 PM, Blogger purplepeninportland.com said...

I thought tequila when I read about the worm. Cheers, Jim!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home