Tuesday, January 02, 2024

a first Car -- fictional poem of a car that I like

[click on photos to enlarge]


My New Car 

Twas my very first 
To me it was slick 
and very pretty 
No glue on this beast 

Zero to sixty 
in four seconds flat 
Turtles are slower 
I'm idling one ten 

It was a hot rod 
Gave my teeth for it 
_ _ _  

 - Poem Copyright, jimmiehov 2023, All Rights Reserved 
 - Photo from an online sale bill, a 1969 Chevy Z28 It is for sale asking $119,999, to read about itclick here. 
 - I am linked with Rosemary at Friday Writings #108 at 
 - Rosemary has asked "us to consider the word 'Beginning' – write anything to do with that word/idea, or perhaps share something which is in itself a beginning".  
 - I chose to post this poem previously posted December 15, 2023.  
 - There I am linked with Saana at dVerse Poetics, at  
 - Saana had us to use "litotes" in our writing.  The closest that I could think of for explaining was that 'understatements' are one example. 
   Saana's formal definition states, "Defining Litotes: Litotes, as a figure of speech, is a rhetorical device used to make an understatement by negating the opposite of the intended message. A double negative is frequently used in this, leading to a positive declaration."   
 - To read others work click here. 
 - My first car was a used 1950 Studebaker, like my model:  
 1950 Studebaker Starlight coupe
[picture of my toy 1950 Studebaker Starlight Coupe, 
a cast iron model of my first car]
[I have quite a few cast iron 1:18 scale toy cars, this one included.] 
.. 

Labels: , , , ,

19 Comments:

At Tuesday, January 02, 2024 4:26:00 PM, Blogger Merril D. Smith said...

It sounds like you would have liked that car. 🙂

 
At Tuesday, January 02, 2024 5:05:00 PM, Anonymous ben Alexander said...

Jim, your use of litotes adds a touch of humor and modesty to the exhilarating imagery, and the lines about the car's speed and your willingness to give your teeth for it create a lively and enjoyable narrative!

Sincerely,
David
SkepticsKaddish.com

 
At Tuesday, January 02, 2024 8:34:00 PM, Blogger Grace said...

This was so fun to read, specially the ending line. A memorable first car!

 
At Tuesday, January 02, 2024 8:41:00 PM, Blogger Dwight L. Roth said...

I love both cars, Jim. The Camaro is a fine machine. You poem says it all!!

 
At Wednesday, January 03, 2024 2:37:00 AM, Blogger brudberg said...

That car don't sound half-bad except for what its gas-guzzling capabilities

 
At Wednesday, January 03, 2024 3:09:00 AM, Blogger Kim M. Russell said...

I like the little touch of litotes, Jim, that makes the car special. You obviously loved it.

 
At Wednesday, January 03, 2024 3:46:00 AM, Blogger Sanaa Rizvi said...

This is absolutely delightful! Thank you so much for writing to the prompt, Jim 💝💝

 
At Wednesday, January 03, 2024 12:29:00 PM, Blogger Helen said...

Hoping that giving up your teeth wasn't literal!!! Happy New Year! Cars + Men .... universal truth.

 
At Wednesday, January 03, 2024 1:28:00 PM, Blogger Dora said...

You couldn't have said it any better because I can see why it thrilled you!

 
At Friday, January 05, 2024 1:00:00 AM, Blogger Marja said...

I gave my teeth for it' hilarious I can see why you like it and it has the Dutch colour as well

 
At Friday, January 05, 2024 2:08:00 AM, Anonymous Rajani said...

Oh that does look like a cool car!!! Worth all the teeth!

 
At Friday, January 05, 2024 4:07:00 AM, Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

And it's orange!

I love this fictional new beginning ... and love the way you always engage so fully with life.

 
At Friday, January 05, 2024 7:49:00 AM, Blogger Penelope Notes said...

Haha ... I enjoyed this and suspect that a first car can be somewhat like a first love!

 
At Friday, January 05, 2024 9:35:00 AM, Blogger Brother Ollie said...

That car is a beauty!

 
At Friday, January 05, 2024 12:41:00 PM, Blogger Magaly Guerrero said...

What a looker!

My first car was also a Chevy, a 1974 Camaro. It was blue, garnished with rusty spots. I loved the thing, even if it was so loud that people could hear me approaching from quite a bit away.

 
At Friday, January 05, 2024 12:55:00 PM, Blogger Yvonne Osborne said...

Eww love that car poem. Looks like my hubby's Challenger. I wish I had it and my first, a sweet 1971 cougar 2-door coupe. Would be worth my eye teeth and then some!! Happy New Year

 
At Saturday, January 06, 2024 1:15:00 PM, Blogger paeansunplugged said...

Jim, what a fun write! It is definitely a looker!

 
At Monday, January 08, 2024 9:34:00 AM, Blogger pvcann.com said...

I love the beast, love your tribute

 
At Wednesday, January 10, 2024 1:52:00 AM, Blogger dsnake1 said...

They don't make beauties like that anymore.
Love the humor in the poem, Jim. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home