Friday, June 03, 2022

Routine -- writing mine for the Friday Writings

My Life Day to Day; 
  there are routines and then there are some more routines 

Some things I do every day 
Likely some of these you may do
Others only weird folk like me 
At any rate if you don't tire 
You'll know more of me 

I wake up when my bod is ready, 
every morning except Sundays 
or an early appointment usually between eight and nine 
I push the ON button on the coffee pot 
on my way for a first morning pee 
 

While its perking I get out two coffee cups 
I get the largest left on kitchen shelf 
I have favorites, yellow Texas Blue Bonnets 
There are only two of the eight left 
Then to the Pantry for a double pack 
Nature Valley Oats Granola Bars 
These sitting by the coffee pot 

While I'm waiting for the brew
I change into something allowable 
Allowable for sitting on, or in, 
the living room furniture 
Also fit to answer the front door 
if someone would come 
Can't hide behind the door as the 
front door has a long glass window


Back to the kitchen, on the way 
I unset the house alarm 
and bring the morning paper in 
also put out to fly the U.S. Stars and Stripes
Then I pour the coffee, 
one, or two cups if my mate is up 
Make it hotter in the microwave 
Thirty seconds for both cups, 
twenty for only one 


I sit in the left recliner and turn TV on 
If both are up I get the NBC Today Show
the VCR is set for that
When I'm alone I watch the recorded ABC 
By nine if the misses isn't up 
I bring her a cup of coffee and her granola bar 
She'll have breakfast in bed 

While all the News is playing 
And I am listening 
I'll work the newspaper's Sudoku 
But at ten the TV goes to Price is Right 
Again at eleven-thirty over to Jeopardy 

In between time or spare 
I'll check emails and Facetime 
That'll last them 'till I'm in bed at night, 
around Midnight 
My pills and meds come at ten 
or eleven or noon 
With them 
I'll eat a couple of saltines 
loaded with PeanutButter 
and dabs of Hazelnut Butter 












That's how my mornings been going 
Maybe a phone call or text exchange 
Then it's time for lunch 
I may have, likely did, dressed by then 
I can make hot dogs with cheese
sometimes with sauerkraut or chili 
Also cook the corn dogs,  make sandwiches, eggs, 
cheese, and ham on toast my special 
I make spaghetti with meatballs 
or chicken parmigiana 

I make or help make a tuna 
or chicken salad with egg and pickle relish 
Macdonald's and Wendy's 
are a couple of miles away Burger King 
and Chick-fil-a  as well


We don't go hungry 
I forgot canned soup and 
Maruchan Instant Ramen Noodle too 
Also forgot to tell of putting in my uppers 
before chewing, small things 
like garbage or mailing a check
miscellaneous that are their own 
Have their own schedule 
blending in with mine 

Afternoons are liberal, 
evenings also 
Bed by eleven-thirty is my goal 
That all has it's own routine, 
again long and boring 


Adi is retiring from Pet Partners 













We've been retired twenty-three and 
twenty-one years, she and I 
We do okay 
for our age 
Forget a little here and there 
Splurges and surprises 
Doctors mess with us the most 
Adi retired too, after us 
But Adi died in 2012 

I'm in my later eighties, 
ninety soon I hope and dread 
I may have to make a few changes
My dad lived to ninety-seven 
 _ _ _ 

 - Photo and Write Copyright, Jimmiehov 2022, All Rights Reserved 
 - I am linked with Rommy who suggested us doing this, at Friday Writings #29
 - Rommy has asked us to write poetry or prose about the small rituals or daily routines that make up our lives.

 - NOTE:  I will read everyone's who has commented here plus some others.  For the Blogger folk my comments will have to be anonymous IF you accept them they should post.  Google has messed me up.
..

Labels: , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At Friday, June 03, 2022 1:12:00 AM, Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

I hope you live well into your nineties, Jim, with a healthy mind and body as long as you do! (Come to think of it, that's what I wish for me as well.) I love this detailed, homey account of the rituals of your morning and outline of your day. Some I identify with, all I understand. The small and ordinary things can be, in their way, so special.

 
At Friday, June 03, 2022 10:04:00 AM, Blogger Helen said...

The mere fact that you (in late 80s) can account for so much of your (and Mrs. Jim's) day astounds me. I have some memory work to do, my friend.

 
At Friday, June 03, 2022 10:37:00 AM, Blogger Rommy said...

I love a good game of sudoku too, when I can fit it in.

 
At Saturday, June 04, 2022 1:45:00 PM, Blogger Su-sieee! Mac said...

I forgot about Sudoku. I used to a puzzle or two with with my breakfast. Now I do wordle and quordle. Time to do an occasional Sudoku so I don’t lose my skill. :-)

 
At Wednesday, June 08, 2022 6:53:00 PM, Blogger purplepeninportland.com said...

I love this peek into your routine. For me, I reheat one mug of coffee for 32 seconds. Crossword instead of Sudoku. May you live a long, healthy life!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home