Friday, November 19, 2021

Friday Writings - an Allegorical Poem



    "Don't judge a book by its cover"** 
 
book with a face that tells a lie 
must examine to its fullest 
horse's mouth look him in the teeth 

is it a book of fiction tales 
book of fables, nursery rhymes 
beauty lies in deceit and smiles 

delights we like breaking the rules 
those bad pennies come back to haunt 
battle scared covers bled for naught?

listen to your heart, it's your call 

         (and a Senryū)*** 

Book of the Dead 

Truth behind the lie 
The secret of me and you 
Shakespeare for the squirrels 

(My book runneth over) 

Two hunters sitting 
  in a duck blind:  

 "M.R. Ducks." 
 "M.R. Not Ducks." 
 "O.S.A.R. C.M. Wangs?"   
 "L.I.B! M.R. Ducks."  

I fail to see any value whatsoever about the above conversation which has gone ballistic years ago and still lives. [a Joke or a Poem, google doesn't know either (URL)]
- - - 
 - Poem and Photo Copyright, Jimmiehov 2021, All Rights Reserved
 - I am linked with Rosemary for the prompt described below on the Friday Writings website,   https://poetsandstorytellersunited.blogspot.com/search/label/Friday%20Writings 
 - Rosemary has invited us to "reinterpret a well-known saying."  I picked this one from a googled list, "Don't judge a book by its cover.  You can visit her instructions by going to the link above, also you can visit others who have posted their writings and recorded them at the bottom of her post. 
 - Notes:
    ** My answer to Rosemary's request was "Don't judge a book by its cover" which saying is my writing's title.
     *** The final Senryū I composed at our public library as a "Spine Poem" using the titles of four books found on their bindings spines.  I have not read any of them although I am thinking about checking the bottom book out to read.  
.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

12 Comments:

At Friday, November 19, 2021 1:57:00 AM, Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Very witty, Jim!

 
At Friday, November 19, 2021 7:03:00 AM, Blogger hyperCRYPTICal said...

"My book runneth over."
Love it!
Loads of love
Anna :o]

 
At Friday, November 19, 2021 10:26:00 AM, Blogger Magaly Guerrero said...

The face of a good book is find in its heart, indeed.

 
At Friday, November 19, 2021 10:43:00 AM, Blogger Gillena Cox said...

OMG
So much fun reading your post today
Happy Friday Jim

Much💛love

 
At Friday, November 19, 2021 5:44:00 PM, Blogger  said...

I see value in the last piece. I can view it as a poem.

I really like this section:
“The secret of me and you
Shakespeare for the squirrels
(My book runneth over)”

 
At Saturday, November 20, 2021 5:57:00 AM, Blogger dsnake1 said...

very witty write.
a battle scarred cover might indicate that it is a well read book. :)

 
At Saturday, November 20, 2021 7:15:00 AM, Blogger phillip woodruff (jalopy dreams) said...

that's an interesting collection of books jim, i've been putting my stacks together, and they are getting rather tall, i better start reading. enjoyed your poem jim.

 
At Saturday, November 20, 2021 11:35:00 AM, Blogger Helen said...

One of my mother's favorite sayings ... "my cup runneth over" my sisters and I still say it with a knowing smile. I enjoyed your witty poetry this morning, Jim.

 
At Sunday, November 21, 2021 6:34:00 AM, Blogger Khaya Ronkainen said...

Even though witty, there's truth in your poem as I find some of the famous nursery rhymes sinister.

 
At Monday, November 22, 2021 5:02:00 PM, Blogger J M Beames said...

"(My book runneth over)" - Yes, I reply, as I'm surrounded by books!

 
At Tuesday, November 23, 2021 1:52:00 AM, Blogger rudraprayaga said...

true, listen to your heart, it is your call. Nice.

 
At Tuesday, November 23, 2021 6:00:00 AM, Blogger Rommy said...

I definitely try not to judge a book by it's cover. I usually go by my friends' recommendations. But I have been drawn in by good looking cover. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home