Saturday, August 21, 2021

Sunday Muse - The Cat

 

        The Kitten Dreams


(Dad) Don't worry dear, your kitty is dreaming 

(Child)  What's he dreaming of? 

He's dreaming of a song his mommy taught him 

Oh, that's nice, do I know that song?

No I don't think so, it's not a children's song.  My daddy taught it to me when I was a teen  

Well surely it has a name, children might know that? 

Not from your parents will you learn that 

Well, I can't make him wake up, please call me when he wakes up

That's a deal, let's let him sleep here on the couch.  I think he will dream some more and sleep better there  

Yes, this much better, I'll go play now, remember to call me when he wakes up

Goodbye

(An Aside) "Now I've got that song on my mind, perhaps becoming an ear worm"

(Dad goes away, singing softly) 

"There stands the glass, it's my first drink today . . ."

(Fades away.  Curtain closes)

 _ _ _ 

 - Prose Piece Copyright, Jimmiehov 2021, All Rights Reserved 

 - Photo from Carrie Van Horn and/or Shay a.k.a. Fireblossom at The Sunday Muse # 174http://thesundaymuse.blogspot.com/2021/08/the-sunday-muse-174.html?m=1 

 - Song, "There stands the Glass" by Web Pierce 

 - There Stands the Glass -- Lyrics

There stands the glass that will ease all my pain
That will settle my brain, it's my first one today
There stands the glass that will hide all my fears
That will drown all my tears, brother, I'm on my way
I'm wondering where you are tonight
And I'm wondering if you are all right
I wonder if you think of me in my misery
There stands the glass, fill it up to the brim
Until my troubles grow dim, it's my first one today
I'm wondering where you are tonight
And I'm wondering if you are all right
I wonder if you think of me in my misery
There stands the glass, fill her up to the brim
Until my troubles grow dim, it's my first one today
Source: Musixmatch
Songwriters: Mary Jean Shurtz / Russ Hull / A. Greisham
There Stands the Glass lyrics © Unichappell Music Inc., Jamie Music Publishing Co
.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

11 Comments:

At Saturday, August 21, 2021 12:06:00 PM, Blogger Sunita said...

The dialogue format really worked, Jim!

 
At Saturday, August 21, 2021 1:00:00 PM, Blogger Carrie Van Horn said...

A cute dialogue poem and the added song is wonderful! Have a great weekend Jim!

 
At Saturday, August 21, 2021 2:32:00 PM, Blogger indybev said...

i wasn't familiar with the song, Jim, but it fits many a customer on a bar stool in many a neighborhood pub!

 
At Saturday, August 21, 2021 6:21:00 PM, Blogger ms_lili said...

Jim I got a real kick out of how you spun your story poem. What a great song that solves the mystery of why he didn't share it right away with the tiny tyke.

 
At Saturday, August 21, 2021 7:35:00 PM, Blogger robkistner said...

Charming, poignant, and bittersweet Jim… well written.👍🏼

 
At Sunday, August 22, 2021 10:36:00 AM, Blogger Helen said...

Really enjoyed the dialogue… and the lyrics which read as sobering.

 
At Sunday, August 22, 2021 12:05:00 PM, Blogger Marion Horton said...

Once a song is in our head ... nice tie in with the photo prompt.😊

 
At Sunday, August 22, 2021 2:15:00 PM, Blogger C. Sandlin said...

This gave me a shiver. Something eerie just a little too close--this was a compelling poem.

 
At Monday, August 23, 2021 2:20:00 PM, Blogger Susie Clevenger said...

Oh, those songs that stick in your head... and the memories that go with them are powerful.

 
At Wednesday, August 25, 2021 4:12:00 AM, Blogger AJ said...

Interesting one.. I find, sometimes, that life can really be bound up in a song, with memories of time and place which all come rushing out at the first bars of the song... Very nicely done once again

 
At Wednesday, August 25, 2021 6:20:00 PM, Blogger phillip woodruff (jalopy dreams) said...

this was cute jim, enjoyed very much

 

Post a Comment

<< Home