Wednesday, April 21, 2021

NaPoWriMo 2021 Day 21 -- April -- Weekly Scribblings

 April (Anti-I-Over)


April comes once a year 

Year that makes me smile 

Smiles can win a lover over 

Over the woodshed goes the ball 

Ball you catch and play chase 

Chase, your it--please don't cry 

Cry babies never win the prize 

Prize, prizes, for the April game  

- - - 

The rules for the school Game of Anti-I-Over are found here, http://www.oneroomschoolhouses.ca/the-games-they-played.html .   We used to play it at school recess and after eating noon lunch until the bell rang.  Generally we played it when the weather would get nice, April was the nicest.  All it takes is a bunch of restless kids, a shed to which we through the ball over (ours was a genuine woodshed that held enough wood for the stove all the cool and colder months), and a rubber ball that wouldn't hurt real bad when someone threw it at you. 

Anti-I-Over was my favorite school outside game, Fox and Goose played in the snow was next best on my list. Come May we still played throwing the ball over the woodshed but also making a May Pole entertained us as well.  The most fun was watching the teachers trying to make that work without getting the streamers tangled when we played Dance around the May Pole. 

Note:  (found at "The Games They Played" link above)

"Anti-I-Over: The object of the game is to throw a ball over the roof of the schoolhouse or woodshed, yelling “Anti-I-Over”. If a person on the opposite team on the other side of the building catches the ball, other teammates sneak around the building while the catcher tries to touch as many players from the other team with the ball, before they safely reach the half way mark. Tagged children are captured and become part of the opposite team. Teams change sides each time the ball is successfully caught. If the catcher drops the ball, he has to join the opposing team. The team that captures all the players wins. "

- - - 

 - Poem Copyright, Jimmiehov 2021, All Rights Reserved

 - I am linked with NaPoWriMo 2021 Day 21,     https://www.napowrimo.net/day-twenty-one-6/ 

 - I am also linked with Rosemary at Weekly Scribblings #66,      https://poetsandstorytellersunited.blogspot.com/2021/04/weekly-scribblings-66-all-about-april.html

 - I am attempting to write at least one poem a day for the National Poem Writing Month.  Today is Day 21 of the 30, you can see my progress here, .

.

11 Comments:

At Wednesday, April 21, 2021 2:50:00 AM, Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

That sounds like a really fun game! Unknown here, though we had others.

 
At Wednesday, April 21, 2021 2:56:00 AM, Blogger Kim M. Russell said...

Reading your poem has made me nostalgic for school days and games we used to play, Jim! I like the chain that starts and ends with April.

 
At Wednesday, April 21, 2021 9:36:00 AM, Blogger Brother Ollie said...

Lol - my sons still play this...over the garage. Good times Jim.

 
At Wednesday, April 21, 2021 11:14:00 AM, Blogger indybev said...

This poem was like a trail of dropped popcorn -- each line pointing to the next!

 
At Wednesday, April 21, 2021 11:28:00 AM, Blogger Magical Mystical Teacher said...

New game for me, with a poem that explains (to my weary brain) what's going on. Thanks, Jim!

 
At Wednesday, April 21, 2021 1:06:00 PM, Blogger Priscilla King said...

Luther Addington called it "antne over" in a storybook I read in grade two, but I never met anyone who actually played it.

 
At Wednesday, April 21, 2021 3:36:00 PM, Blogger indybev said...

We played the same games at my one-room school, but I thought it was called Andy-I-Over! We also played Fox and Goose and Red Rover. Nice memories!

 
At Wednesday, April 21, 2021 8:06:00 PM, Blogger Old Egg said...

Yoy certainly dont know what is coming up with April do you?

 
At Sunday, April 25, 2021 1:57:00 PM, Blogger Rommy said...

Not too hot, not too cold... perfectly lovely for outdoor fun!

 
At Sunday, April 25, 2021 3:31:00 PM, Blogger robkistner said...

Fascinating form Jim, fun to read! :) Just got my April poem posted, so I am late getting around to read.

 
At Sunday, April 25, 2021 7:43:00 PM, Blogger purplepeninportland.com said...

A delightful poem, Jim!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home