Thursday, December 12, 2019

A Memory Poem


I came; 
staying grief 

I came and I saw and then I went 
Not a happy visit to that small town of La Porte 

Long haired riding my motorcycle 

Stopped cold at the city gates 'metropolitan' police 

Minding my own business didn't seem 

Obnoxious one bit to me but to them like felony 

Asked for my Vehicle Inspection 

Those fuzz were surprisingly shocked they couldn't get me there 

Said to me when their plan didn't work 

"You're a long way from home aren't you?  Best be getting along" 

So I went.  Beach restaurant to eat 

Burger fries and Coke were good though bad taste for cops remained 
_ _ _ 


A Landay poem form ~~  nine syllables in the first line, thirteen syllables in the second. 

These short poems typically address themes of love, grief, homeland, war, and separation.


 - Poem Copyright, Jimmiehov 2019, All Rights Reserved 
 - I am linked with Sanaa Rizvi in the Imaginary Garden at http://withrealtoads.blogspot.com/2019/12/may-fire-in-our-hearts-keep-burning-as.html?m=1 

 - This is a true tale, La Porte is a small suburban town just east of Houston, Texas.  I was going over to a smaller place still, Morgan's Point for a hamburger and a cool drink.  This is an episode that I never will forget although it wasn't my first unwilling stop, bike or car.
 - It reminds me of the never ending police harassment of teens, young folk, and of minorities that must be endured. 

 - One more item, I am still on Sabbatical. 


4 Comments:

At Thursday, December 12, 2019 9:26:00 AM, Blogger Helen said...

I can see you as a long-haired biker all those years ago! Another bit of insight to “Mr. Jim”
The sixteen acres were my great-grandparent’s property in rural Southern Missouri, no whistles ... just that clanging bell.

 
At Thursday, December 12, 2019 10:19:00 AM, Blogger Sherry Blue Sky said...

Jim, this reminds me of 1960's Kelowna, where I grew up, which was more like the 1950's in its conservatism. When the first hippies made their way into town, the city fathers told them to leave town and not come back. LOL. However, the tide of change was bigger than they could stop, so more came later and some of the locals, to their shock, joined the movement. I can see you, long hair flowing, enjoying your ride till that unfriendly encounter.

 
At Saturday, December 14, 2019 6:56:00 PM, Blogger purplepeninportland.com said...

Wow, a wild motorcycle rider!

 
At Monday, December 16, 2019 2:28:00 PM, Blogger Sanaa Rizvi said...

This is gorgeously rendered, Jim! Thank you so much for writing to my final prompt!❤️

 

Post a Comment

<< Home