Thursday, November 21, 2019

A Poem - Awaking Smells


That Smell

I had this dream, I was vaping
There was a slight cough that I know
Acrid smell was burning my lungs
When I'd had enough I awoke (I'm betting that you can't do that)

From my window came wafting in
Morning light oozing through the damp
The clouds had descended to here
Faint whiff of something sweet I love

A smell more welcome  than the vape
One I'd had before from childhood
Perhaps you've had it before
An aroma that comes and goes
(sweeter than any I have 'smoked')

The smell of a wet puppy dog
Dog I've never seen though I know

(Note: I don't vape and haven't smoked for 36 years.  I remember and love that  doggie smell, it keeps me on the straight, tobacco smoke gives me an instant sore throat.  The smell is real to me, it's hard to explain, I think others can't really smell it.)
 _ _ _

 - Poem Copyright, Jimmiehov 2019, All Rights Reserved
 - I'm linked with Sanaa Rizvi in the Imaginary Garden  at http://withrealtoads.blogspot.com/2019/11/november-nothing-is-more-memorable-than.html?m=1
 - and
 - I'm linked with Susan at Poets United, Midweek  Motiff, http://poetryblogroll.blogspot.com/2019/11/poets-united-midweek-motif-awakening.html?m=1

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

At Thursday, November 21, 2019 2:39:00 PM, Blogger Susan said...

No one smells smoke like an ex-smoker. I should know. I smoked for 42 years, and have been free since only 2012. The smells in your poem worked for me, though the puppy was a surprise! A mighty fine surprise. May every vaper come to a similar awakening.

 
At Thursday, November 21, 2019 4:43:00 PM, Blogger Helen said...

Oh yes! Many of us are extremely sensitive to tobacco smoke ... my sister smoked for decades and stopped about two years ago. In spite of fresh paint, laundering curtains, shampooing carpets the faint smell remains. So glad you stopped!

 
At Thursday, November 21, 2019 10:10:00 PM, Blogger Sanaa Rizvi said...

This is beautifully rendered, Jim! I love; "The clouds had descended to here/faint whiff of something sweet I love." Thank you so much for writing to the prompt ❤️

 
At Friday, November 22, 2019 7:40:00 PM, Blogger purplepeninportland.com said...

Nothing smells sweeter than a puppy. Glad you are not vaping. We are trying to get my nephew to stop.

 
At Tuesday, November 26, 2019 9:47:00 PM, Blogger Magical Mystical Teacher said...

I know that smell!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home