Thursday, June 20, 2019

A Starry Night Poem

[Photo, Copyright , Jimmiehov 2006, All Rights Reserved]
Under the Stars;
  Van Gogh's Starry Night

Standing in awe
In awe of the man
In awe of his works of art
In awe of his troubled life

Standing beneath his stars
In between his olive trees
Gazing at those mountains distant
Glaring back at his glaring moon

The stars for me twinkling bright
As they did for him that starry night
Gives me the chills and goose bumps
As surely they did for Van Gogh

I'm beside the olive grove
Beside the sanitarium where
Where he admitted himself after
Cutting off his ear that starry night

There in God's garden, next to Eden
I imagine his pain, pain before
And bloody pain after the knife
Feel his despondency as is mine

Though stars are bright and glowing moon
Cheered for a moment but not before
And not again after bloody knife
The stars still twinkle now and then

But we won't be the same, deed is done
We walk around and look the same
But we are not. We are the person
Person who tried to die but did not


Starry Night - Vincent Van Gogh  .
 _ _ _

 - Photo and Poem Copyright, Jimmiehov 2006 (top Photo) and 2019 (the poem), All Rights Reserved.
 - I am linked with Kerry O'Connor in the Imaginary Garden at
http://withrealtoads.blogspot.com/2019/06/kerry-says-human-landscape-interactions.html?m=1
 - We, Mrs. Jim and I, St. Remi, Provence, France in 2006.  Staying almost a week, I enjoyed every moment, even grief remembrances.  I will try to post more pictures in a bit..

 - THIS IS NOT ME IN THE LAST PARAGRAPH.  It is written at the suggestion of my muse.  I've been very close to one who did attempt, my first real school friend did finish her job, and so did the Valedictorian of our high school graduating class of 48 students.  I've known several others who did or attempted but none so close.

 - I first posted on-line my photograph picture of the Olive Grove on my other blog on April 20, 2006, from St. Remy, " https://jimmiehov.blogspot.com/search?q=van+gogh " and some of my France posts are here, we've been several times.

 - The Starry Night is an oil on canvas by the Dutch post-impressionist painter Vincent van Gogh. Painted in June 1889, it describes the view from the east-facing window of his asylum room at Saint-Rémy-de-Provence, just before sunrise, with the addition of an ideal village.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

10 Comments:

At Thursday, June 20, 2019 9:54:00 AM, Blogger Kerry O'Connor said...

I like this moment you capture in the olive groves, so in tune with the artist himself. A very empathetic poem, Jim. Thanks for participating.

 
At Thursday, June 20, 2019 1:16:00 PM, Blogger Sanaa Rizvi said...

Oh this is wonderfully eloquent and vivid in its portrayal of the emotions evoked, Jim!❤️

 
At Thursday, June 20, 2019 8:02:00 PM, Blogger Helen said...

A sobering poem, Jim. Well done.

 
At Thursday, June 20, 2019 10:51:00 PM, Blogger Susie Clevenger said...

Beautiful writing...This is one of my favorite poems you've written.

 
At Friday, June 21, 2019 12:29:00 AM, Blogger Margaret said...

"Gazing at those mountains distant
Glaring back at his glaring moon"

I felt this JIm, very nicely written. I'd like to see those photos - maybe a few more poems about visiting that area of France!

 
At Friday, June 21, 2019 3:51:00 PM, Blogger Rommy said...

He painted such beautiful things though he was in so much mental anguish. I think about the people you mentioned in your note and wish they could have seen some of their own beauty before the end. It's hard to know if that would have made a difference though, depression is such a slippery foe. So many people wrestle with it every day, with no one else the wiser. This is far and away one of your best Jim.

 
At Friday, June 21, 2019 7:34:00 PM, Blogger purplepeninportland.com said...

"But we won't be the same, deed is done
We walk around and look the same
But we are not. We are the person
Person who tried to die but did not"

This is so beautifully written, Jim. It is a definite favorite for me.

 
At Saturday, June 22, 2019 9:04:00 AM, Blogger Marian said...

This is so thoughtful. I can relate to this:
"We walk around and look the same
But we are not."

 
At Saturday, June 22, 2019 7:40:00 PM, Blogger Sherry Blue Sky said...

I think the most sensitive souls see amazing beauty, yet can find life too painful to be borne. Usually, they are extremely gifted, and too sensitive for how difficult life can be. I have known those who didnt make it, and know some still who hang onto life by a thread.

 
At Saturday, June 22, 2019 8:02:00 PM, Blogger Jim said...

The valedictorian of our senior high school had been accepted for the Naval Academy but he took his life before enrollong.
..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home