Monday, March 14, 2011

Pi-Ku ~~ Happy Pi Day

Two Pi-Ku
(no, not Haiku)
one for you, one for me

peach apple
hint:
three point one four

pi R square
peach
one eighth for you


Today, March 14 (3-14 or 3.14) is Pi Day (link). Pi Day is celebrated mostly by mathematicians but you can join in on the fun, somehow. Me? I am writing these two Pi Ku's for my blog.

I am not a mathematician but I do have a math minor to go along with my bachelor of science in economics. For me that involved taking seven college math classes for a total of 21 semester hours.

Differential Equations, DE, was my most involved class that I completed. Advanced Calculus was my 'weedout' class, i.e. I dropped it before completion.
Read here to find out why this course "weeded me out."

Oh yes,
One Single Impression (OSI) invited us to write the Pi Ku for Pi Day. One little insight here, both Sandy and Andrée, instigators of OSI, are teachers. Andrée teaches Math, Sandy I think not.

Their idea for the Pi Ku is to have a three line poem which is similar to the Haiku. However, the syllable count is three, one, and four instead of the five, seven, five of the haiku.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At Monday, March 14, 2011 11:47:00 PM, Blogger Amanda Moore said...

Jim I am so bad at math I have no clue what you're talking about but I know it is part of the "Pi" prompt!

 
At Tuesday, March 15, 2011 12:36:00 AM, Blogger Nanka said...

Jim, I did dabble in elementary maths but I am a dietitian and so like peaches and apples!! Yummmy!! :D

 
At Tuesday, March 15, 2011 12:54:00 AM, Blogger Amity said...

Jim, I am so dumb with numbers and so whewwww....I can never make one Pi-KU and yes, I get nosebleeds when someone starts talking about numbers infront of me...:P

I read ur entry and I am at lost, even a wild guess is never possible for me!!!

You've been missing my blogs for so long now Jim.. :)

 
At Tuesday, March 15, 2011 10:19:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your pi-ku makes you sound so mathly intelligent, ha
I am among the large number of math dummies.

 
At Wednesday, March 16, 2011 10:16:00 PM, Blogger The Write Girl said...

Hi Jim,

I really enjoyed both pi-ku's. Thanks for visiting mine as well. Pi-ku was so creative and really fun to write.

 
At Thursday, March 17, 2011 11:26:00 AM, Blogger Patti said...

Love your pi-kus!! I think mine would be chocolate mint brownie pie...YUM! And then peach or raspberry- but let's be honest is there such a thing as a BAD pie? I think not! Wow- 7 math course? I applaud you! I could barely make it through math for elementary eduaction...I do NOT have a penchant for numbers at all. Happy St. Patrick's Day and Happy Spring as well!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home