Thursday, April 18, 2024

Open Doors -- a Poem for NaPoWriMo 2024 Day 18

    Door Openings for Me 

I grew up knowing and hoping 
Knowing I could become something 
Born with a wrench in my right hand 
Had mechanical aptitude 

Broken clocks I'd take tic-toc out 
They then became wind up motors 
Became motors for my toys my small toys 
Could I become an engineer 

Poor but doors began to open 
Was surprised with a scholarship 
Was for the University 
Hadn't planned going to college 

Doors had opened, learned to play chess 
Squandering time, was good at chess 
Could beat the city champ in chess 
My grades demanded I drop out 

The doors opened again for me 
Factory job awaited for me 
Wrench retrieved so worked myself up 
Setup man for sixteen women 

Next door was the U.S. Army 
Their school for me, electronics 
Forty-three weeks later, third in class 
Five years later, discharge door now 

Nineteen more years, used army skills 
Aerospace Engineer's door  
Finished college, taught part time 
College offered job, I took 

Through that new door, I liked job 
Now Doctor Jim, Professor 
Then twenty-two year later 
Became Doctor Jim, retired 
 _ _ _ 

 - Poem Copyright, Jimmiehov 2024, All Rights Reserved 
 - I am linked with NaPoWriMo 2024 Day 18  with "challenge you to write a poem in which the speaker expresses the desire to be someone or something else, and explains why" 
.. 

1 Comments:

At Thursday, April 18, 2024 11:19:00 PM, Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Quite a journey! You've had a fascinating, eventful life indeed, and achieved much by your own efforts..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home