Monday, April 08, 2024

A Question -- a Piece of Prose for dVerse Prosery and for NaPoWriMo Day Nine


["Fu Bao in quarantine ", In China, born in 2020, 
Panda Bear just came from lease at South Korea]
            
                    Bears Checking Out 

    I was asked the other day a question about the stars, "What does it matter that the stars we see are already dead?" I was stumped and of course I put it to rest along with seems a zillion rhetorical questions I have been asked. "I dunno."  
  

    When I got home I went to old trusty fellow, Mr. Bing whose helper is Ms. AI. They know a lot, trivia and otherwise. Well, he scratched his head calling a friend. Those two knew, he wanted to make sure.


    Bing's retort, “No matter how you look at it, the idea that all, or even most, or even a lot, of the stars you can see in the sky are already dead is simply wrong. It sounds true, and kinda sorta fits with things you might think you know, but in the end the facts will win.”

_ _ _ _ 
 
 - * Note: found when asked the question in paragraph one, Bing (substitue for Google) answer word for word.  (URL)
 - Writing Copyright, Jimmiehov 2024, All Rights Reserved 
 - I am linked with Dora at dVerse Prosery at 
 - Dora's instructions Write a piece of prose (not poetry) of no more than 144 words that includes what is the question asked in my first paragraph here.
 - Click here to read others' works with the prompt

 - I am also linked with NaPoWriMo Day Nine at 
 - NaPoWriMo to choose a Day is here, https://www.napowrimo.net/ 
 . .     

Labels: , , , , ,

11 Comments:

At Monday, April 08, 2024 4:25:00 PM, Blogger Dora said...

Haha! Mr. Bing is right that most of the stars we see are not dead, but I suppose in poetry, such technicalities don't matter, it's the way we look at things! It's unsettling to think that some of the most distant stars have gone extinct though we can still see them billions of light years away. But think of how many more are being born all the time! Amazing.

 
At Monday, April 08, 2024 4:53:00 PM, Blogger Helen said...

Look where those of advance degrees took you Dr. Jim ... straight to Mr. Bing and Ms. AI? LOL

 
At Monday, April 08, 2024 4:57:00 PM, Anonymous lillian said...

Hah! I should have my friend with the telescope who provided photos for my recent prompt, read this!
In the end, facts will win. One can only hope, relating this to a myriad to issues happening today.

 
At Monday, April 08, 2024 6:07:00 PM, Blogger Dwight L. Roth said...

Way to go, Jim. I thought about this when I first read the prompt sentence.
I love your story.

 
At Monday, April 08, 2024 6:55:00 PM, Anonymous JadeLi said...

Jim, that was very creative to look to programmed databases to get the answers. Now the big question is do we trust the programs to tell us the truth (rhetorical question.) Your prosery has motivated me to look at the line again and see other perspectives. This could be taken as a film critic harping on modern actors. It could be ideological stars.

 
At Tuesday, April 09, 2024 2:45:00 AM, Blogger Kim M. Russell said...

You have both feet on the ground, Jim, and an inquisitive mind. I love the way you personified ‘old trusty fellow, Mr Bing whose helper is Ms. AI’ and the way Mr Bing ‘scratched his head calling a friend’.

 
At Tuesday, April 09, 2024 4:45:00 AM, Blogger brudberg said...

I wonder if we can trust anything these days... the only thing we know is that what we see is ancient... dead or alive.

 
At Tuesday, April 09, 2024 9:23:00 PM, Blogger K.Hartless said...

The facts or the fiction. I think we are stuck with a mix of both these days.

 
At Wednesday, April 10, 2024 2:42:00 AM, Blogger Anjum Wasim Dar said...

bears will go over the mountain to see what they can see-enjoyed the story write

 
At Wednesday, April 10, 2024 5:27:00 AM, Blogger Merril D. Smith said...

It's true we should look for the facts and do research on our own--something most people do not do. Cute story.

 
At Wednesday, April 17, 2024 3:29:00 AM, Anonymous Melissa Lemay said...

Good one, Jim!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home