Saturday, April 06, 2024

NaPoWriMo Day Six

Me, Jim, standing beside an old 1941 Ford Pickup 
    in the Canadian Yukon Provence.

   Understanding My Grandfather 

I loved my grandfather 
Back when I was young 
Eight years old maybe younger 
I felt he loved me the most of us nine 

Some others may have felt the same
Grandpa and I used to ride together 
Together in his new truck 
A 1940 Ford pickup 

We'd ride with his stud horse in back 
Grandpa and the horse 
They'd leave me in the truck 
Those two walked, went visiting 

Visited other farmers 
Visited them and their horses 
I didn't know what they were saying 
They seemed to enjoy their visit 

Grandfather cussed a lot 
Rough, but I never heard him take 
Take the Lord's name in vein 
He chewed tobacco 

Grandpa had a spittoon 
A short coffee can in a tin ring 
The ring bolted to the hump 
He'd spit out the window too 

One day I'll never forget 
We three rolled to a stop sign 
Twas down by the railroad track 
He said something might shock 

"Stop" he said, "S T O P " he spelled 
Now the shock, "Stop Take Off Panties" 
I never could figure what he meant 
To this day I still wonder 
_ _ _ 

 - Photo and Poem Copyright, Jimmiehov 2024, All Rights Reserved 
 - Photo taken by me in Yukon Territory  Canada first posted 2003 
 - I am linked with NaPoWriMo Day Six 
..


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home