Tuesday, October 05, 2021

Weekly Scriblings - October Calling

 
Jim's birthday, 2007, at a Hue Hue Tenango (Guatemala) 
orphanage (first year, I went again on this mission trip in 2008)

    October's Call 

“I’m so glad I live in a world 
where there are Octobers.”*  Because . . .  
Calendar month my birthday lies 

Every year I threaten to run 
Run away from my cruel world 
Often times I do make that run 

Run away far away from here 
Or be it near round the corner 
Take my wife and away we go 

New York City has beckoned me 
Guatemala two times I went 
Octoberfest in Germany 

Others beckoned me London too 
Nearby New Braunfels Texas called 
Galveston beaches soft warm sand 

Or a ship sailing far away 
Oceans wide or Moscow rivers 
Arctic Circle, China's rivers 

Still many more they've beckoned me 
Around the world penguins to roos** 
Fifty states 76 lands***  

Now to then candles on my cakes
Oh yes in many I've driven 
October birthdays, hit the roads 

*quote from  L.M. Montgomery, author of Anne of Green Gables (Wikipedia)
**"roos", an abbreviated form of Kangaroos 
***"76 lands," Click Here for countries I've visited.
 - - - 
 - Poem and Photos Copyright,  Jimmiehov 2021 and 2007, All Rights Reserved 
 - I am linked with Rommy again at The Weekly Scribbles #90 Poets and Storytellers United: Search results for Weekly Scribblings #
 - Rommy wants us to "take our inspiration from the quote “I’m so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers”, the word October, or from autumn in general."

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

At Wednesday, October 06, 2021 5:34:00 AM, Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Great way to spend your birthdays! I hope we'll all be able to travel freely again soon.

 
At Wednesday, October 06, 2021 6:32:00 AM, Blogger Rommy said...

My husband, son, and father-in-law are all October babies too.

 
At Wednesday, October 06, 2021 10:35:00 AM, Blogger Magical Mystical Teacher said...

I absolutely love the idea of October being the month to go places and see this wide, wonderful world!

 
At Wednesday, October 06, 2021 10:38:00 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

How nice to travel the world! My son's birthday was this past weekend, so he's an October child too. Funny you want to run away. My mother used to threaten to "run off to the desert" most Christmas times!

 
At Wednesday, October 06, 2021 11:48:00 AM, Blogger indybev said...

Your gypsy birthdays just offer a forrest of memories, to be relived every October for you.

 
At Wednesday, October 06, 2021 8:02:00 PM, Blogger  said...

I love your pictures!!!

I grew up near New Braunfels. :)

And Anne of Green Gables is one of my favorite books. <3

 
At Wednesday, October 06, 2021 9:23:00 PM, Blogger Margaret said...

October is a month to look forward to with all those travels ... It's just starting to be nice weather, though, in TX in October. I lived in San Antonio for 3 years in 1990 and the summers were too hot for this Northern girl...

 
At Thursday, October 07, 2021 8:29:00 AM, Blogger Debi Swim said...

What wonderful memories you have stored up. Happy travels!

 
At Thursday, October 07, 2021 9:55:00 AM, Blogger Magaly Guerrero said...

I love the idea of traveling for one's birthday! In our family, we have a tradition of spending the day at home being pampered. Maybe, one of these days, I will follow on your footsteps and grab my Piano Man and go away somewhere.

 
At Thursday, October 07, 2021 11:43:00 AM, Blogger Helen said...

Dear Doctor, three of our four children were born in October. A month to celebrate for sure ... travel is back I think as I've just returned from a long weekend in Missouri. The flights/airports .. everyone masked. Cannot say the same for Cardinals baseball game, though being in the open air made me feel relatively safe. October in Bend Oregon is beautiful.

 
At Saturday, October 09, 2021 7:15:00 PM, Blogger purplepeninportland.com said...

October is a perfect month for a birthday. You have visited many places, and make them all attractive.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home