Saturday, September 25, 2021

Sunday Muse - Back When

 

Way Back Then 

Grandpa was one of the richest 
Richest in our corn county Burt 
Grandpa owned three farms, fertile land 
Share cropped to his sons, half and half 

There in his big house I was born  
Doctor "L" paid with potatoes 
We were poor, so very poor but . . . 
An extra good potato crop 

That is why to this very day 
Potatoes are my favorite veg 

 - - - 

Actually, this was the house where I was born:


Probably around the turn of the 20th century it was brand new. It had two bedrooms upstairs, a living room, and a country kitchen. Later were added two enclosed but not heated porches.

The porch on the right is where I had to sleep when my sister was old enough to have her own room. Cold mornings would find frost on my blankets where my breath would freeze. You can see it is fallen in now, first entered by the raccoons, then finished off by the tree.

There were storm windows for the winter. My porch sleeping room was not heated and we did not have air conditioning.


Update:  The new owners bulldozed down the house and then burned the rubble. Corn is now growing over the farmstead except for some trees saved and around where four buildings remain.

Read more about the old Nebraska place where I grew up.

 - - - 

 - Bottom Photo and Poem Copywrite, Jimmiehov 2007 and 2021, All Rights Reserved 
 - I am linked with The Sunday Muse # 179 where Carrie offered us this Top Pictured old house as inspiration for us to write our piece at http://thesundaymuse.blogspot.com/2021/09/the-sunday-muse-179.html?m=1  

Labels: , , ,

13 Comments:

At Saturday, September 25, 2021 3:22:00 PM, Blogger Carrie Van Horn said...

Love the history in this Jim and the real picture at the end! That is so cool! I wonder too if anyone will focus on the dog house. Have a great weekend and enjoy the lovely weather!

 
At Saturday, September 25, 2021 3:44:00 PM, Blogger indybev said...

Thanks for sharing your personal story, Jim. I think the doctor who delivered me was paid with a fat roasting hen. Folks traded talents a lot in those days!

 
At Saturday, September 25, 2021 4:46:00 PM, Blogger qbit said...

Nebraska had to be pretty cold in the winter!

 
At Saturday, September 25, 2021 4:49:00 PM, Blogger phillip woodruff (jalopy dreams) said...

jim, i also wrote about my grandparent nebraska farmstead, also, like yours, it was bulldozed over about 5 years ago, which probably a good thing. last time i saw it, it was so dilapidated it nearly made me cry, it was hard to see it in that state, enjoyed your story jim

 
At Saturday, September 25, 2021 5:49:00 PM, Blogger Sherry Blue Sky said...

I loved reading this, Jim, and I so relate. During the Depression my grandpa fed his five kids by doing the books for various people, being paid in coal, potatoes, whatever people could find. No one had any money. I also relate to sleeping in rooms so cold the frost was on the INSIDE in the morning....BRRRRR! Loved the photo of your house. It is sad when historical houses get bulldozed. People take too long to revere the past.

 
At Sunday, September 26, 2021 9:30:00 AM, Blogger C. Sandlin said...

Potatoes are the best veg, so it stands to reason they're a favorite. :) The two descriptions, poem and prose, balance really well and bring me right back to stories my dad and mother-in-law tell about their childhood (in Texas).

 
At Sunday, September 26, 2021 1:05:00 PM, Blogger Marion Horton said...

Always interesting to read about people's history. Your photo has such a story to tell.

 
At Sunday, September 26, 2021 1:28:00 PM, Blogger Helen said...

Amazing how closely the two homes resemble each other! I found your post fascinating.

 
At Sunday, September 26, 2021 9:01:00 PM, Blogger ms_lili said...

Can't even begin to imagine having to sleep in that little unheated porch that sticks out like a sore thumb on the side of the house. Oh my! I see the fuel oil drum on the side there, which had to cost a fortune to heat with. Both houses have that "Waltons" look to them. I'm guessing knowing it was bulldozed gave you a bit of a twinge of sorrow.

 
At Sunday, September 26, 2021 10:42:00 PM, Blogger Gillena Cox said...

You brought home the prompt. I luv potatoes and tomatoes. Two of my favourites

Happy you dropped by my blog Jim

Much💖love

 
At Monday, September 27, 2021 10:53:00 AM, Blogger AJ said...

One hopes that a memoir is in the works for me... Oh to be regaled by your fascinating stories... :)

 
At Monday, September 27, 2021 6:51:00 PM, Blogger Myrna R. said...

Wow. Nice reading about your history. So interesting.

 
At Monday, September 27, 2021 7:41:00 PM, Blogger purplepeninportland.com said...

Loved the photo of your house, and all the background that went with it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home