Tuesday, June 11, 2019

A Tuesday Poem -- Getting Old

This Room

Sitting by the door
It's my life now
I sit here and wait

It's a nice room
I picked it while I could
Not where I wanted to be

Things we had before
Marjorie and me,
Was told I could bring

Not the bed it might not work
My dresser and a little table
There's a chair for you

The soft green one we had
It sat by the chair for you
You'd sit and write while I slept

Sometimes I'd be awake
You didn't know but I was
Watching you compose

A tear is coming now
I'll pause and savor the thought
Innocent you were then

Not your fault it just was
Was the end coming near
While you sat and wrote

Sitting by the window
In the green chair that I brought
When you finished writing

You'd tip toe to my side
and kiss me on my cheek and my arm
You didn't know I was awake

Awake and watching you write
Watching you pause look my way
Then you'd come after you wrote

Now I sit by this door
and smile and wipe another tear
They wheeled me here to wait

It isn't you that will come
I hope it is one of our kids
Likely I'll say your name

I'll know it wasn't you who
kissed my cheek and said their name
They don't mind when I say your name
_ _ _

- Photo and Poem Copyrighg, Jimmiehov 2019, All Rights Reserved
- I am linked with Sanaa Rizvi in the Imaginary Garden at http://withrealtoads.blogspot.com/2019/06/the-tuesday-platform.html?m=1
 - Dad died in 2007 at the age of 97.  These are thoughts my dad might have had at his nursing home room.  He had fallen and broken his hip which could not be repaired.  So he spent the last two years of his life in bed or in a wheel chair.  They might be your thoughts or mine some future day.
 - The chair is from my parent's home, we have it now.
..

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

At Tuesday, June 11, 2019 8:09:00 AM, Blogger Thotpurge said...

Oh so poignant.. and you're right- this could be me in the future-

 
At Tuesday, June 11, 2019 10:28:00 AM, Blogger Sanaa Rizvi said...

I am so sorry for your loss, Jim.

 
At Tuesday, June 11, 2019 10:37:00 AM, Blogger Jim said...

Thank you Sanaa, I do miss my parents still. This came to me after seeing the nice poem you found for us. Dad died in 2007. I'll add that to my note. Its okay now, we all have to go.

 
At Tuesday, June 11, 2019 11:37:00 AM, Blogger tonispencer said...

A sad and lovely tribute

 
At Tuesday, June 11, 2019 3:33:00 PM, Blogger brudberg said...

So sad... and something we all have seen... my mother just died, and she had spent her last few years in bed and wheelchair, even lacking her speech.

 
At Tuesday, June 11, 2019 11:02:00 PM, Blogger Tanza Erlambang said...

could be any body in the future, include me....
sad poem, but, hope, you enjoy life

 
At Thursday, June 13, 2019 7:05:00 AM, Blogger Natalia said...

That is so moving and very beautifully written!

 
At Tuesday, June 18, 2019 7:08:00 PM, Blogger Felisol said...

A familiar situation. Getting old has its price, if you're not the queen of England. May God see to us in grace.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home