Saturday, December 02, 2017

A Flash Poem for Saturday FLASH

 Reginald Southey
Lewis Carroll (1857)
Fair Use

  Like a flashbulb, hair triggered
 
Like a flashbulb ready to go off
Spoil sport, we want just to have some fun
Hair triggered, lit fuse, ill-humored  
 
Day of stiffs, skeletons, and scarecrows
'Hang up in jest but don't do it here'
That's the message being sent to us   
 
You see, they scare the bijiggers i.-
e. BeJeezus* right outa my dog 
- - - -

Photo and Poem Copyright, © 2017 Jimmiehov, All Rights Reserved (my photo above is a 'PrintScreen' of Kerry's contribution at the link below.  The little buy below is an artist rendition, "the only one" (??) from Wackipedia.wiki.com, see link at the bottom here*) 

 - I'm linked with, at the Imaginary Garden with Real Toads, Camera FLASH,  http://withrealtoads.blogspot.com/2017/12/camera-flash.html (my Flash poem has 61 words)
 
*Note: "BeJeezus was not a King (as far as we know - he was way too common). His name was Basil De Jesus and he was a joker in a royal court, not sure which one? he loved to play jokes, and had a bad habit of sneeking up on people when they least expected it, yelling out DeJesus has got you. One day he scared the King - (this is to our knowledge the correct version) thus he was beheaded - you just cant go around scaring mighty rulers. He is still fondly remembered - his name lingers on and everyone today who scares the crap out of anyone else get remember by the name BeJezzus." "in  'The Origin of: "You scared the bejesus outta me!'" ( http://wackypedia.wikia.com/wiki/The_Origin_of:_%22You_scared_the_bejesus_outta_me!%22 )

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

At Monday, December 04, 2017 4:05:00 PM, Blogger WildChild47 said...

LOL - I really like the note at the end.

This is a fun and fanciful reading of the image - I totally caught myself laughing, especially with the clever word play referring to the technical aspects of photography during that time. Fun piece

 
At Monday, December 04, 2017 4:28:00 PM, Blogger Susie Clevenger said...

This made me giggle. On a Monday where the news is always another round of bleak I needed the smile.

 
At Tuesday, December 05, 2017 4:13:00 AM, Blogger Sreeja said...

Loved the last lines...ha ha...it's funny to imagine that!!!

 
At Tuesday, December 05, 2017 7:39:00 AM, Blogger hyperCRYPTICal said...

This made me smile too. Cheers Jim!
Anna :o]

 
At Tuesday, December 05, 2017 2:08:00 PM, Blogger Sanaa Rizvi said...

This one made me smile :D Good one, Jim!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home