Tuesday, January 10, 2017

a poem for Tuesday Platform


Mother May I?  
 
Mother, may I?  May I play with Johnny today?
I'd rather you stay with us still, until that day
That day will come when you are just a bit older
Some more training you need, like when should you come home
 
Predators await your romp, beware leopard seal*
You've survived the skua*, one nasty bird lurking
That seal will try to run you down while you're fishing
There's a lot more to learn, my son, before you stray
 
This was Penguin talk, my John, but the same lessons
they learn will of sorts be yours to master.  Play safe 
_ _ _ _
 
Picture and Poem Copyright, Ó Jimmiehov 2017, All Rights Reserved
 
- I'm linking to Marian's host post at the Imaginary Garden with Real Toads,
Tuesday Platform is a 'free write' day, you can read others' works at this link
 
*Notes:
 - 1.  We are back home now, after a 31 day Princess cruise from L.A. to Rio deJaneiro.  We saw these Penguins and many more at a reserve, in a farmer's pasture by the sea, in the Falkland Islands.  I'm posting for a while some pictures as I go, both here and in my other blog, Jim's Little Blog.  I invite you to peek in now and then.
 - 2. The skua is a natural predator pestering the Penguins by eating both their eggs and their young offspring.  The leopard seal attacks them when they go into the water to find their food.  You can read about and see pictures of the skua here.
 

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

At Tuesday, January 10, 2017 12:30:00 PM, Blogger Sherry Blue Sky said...

What a wonderful time you must have had! Lovely, Jim.

 
At Tuesday, January 10, 2017 3:22:00 PM, Blogger brudberg said...

What a wonderful story of motherly care.. for sure there is a lot to learn from penguins and nature in general.

 
At Wednesday, January 11, 2017 6:03:00 AM, Blogger Marian said...

Oh, a cruise! And look at those babies! Love this.

 
At Wednesday, January 11, 2017 6:35:00 AM, Blogger Gillena Cox said...

Thanks for dropping by my blog Jim. Sure there's good poetry and good advice too

All the best in 2017

much love...

 
At Wednesday, January 11, 2017 8:23:00 AM, Blogger Kerry O'Connor said...

Your trip has inspired some interesting views of an unfamiliar part of the world. Thanks for sharing.

 
At Friday, January 13, 2017 7:08:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love this advice. We can learn a lot from the natural world.

 
At Tuesday, January 17, 2017 12:06:00 AM, Blogger Gel said...

Wise words, Jim. Nature's teachings. Thanks for sharing your photos and incorporating that info so well into your poem! I love penguins and wish they were not threatened- alas, I think all humans and animals of the kingdom are in some way... What a wonderful experience to go on a month long cruise! Ingenious title and concept for your poem.

 
At Saturday, January 21, 2017 9:49:00 AM, Blogger Susie Hovendick Chan said...

My, your imagination has run wild with this beauty! I like how you humanize animals and inanimate objects.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home