Sunday, May 15, 2016

Fallen in a hole? ~~ a Poem for Sunday


Have You Ever

Has anyone ask you, "Have you ever ...?"
Most times embarrassing to say the least

Fallen in a hole, stuck, couldn't get out?
"Well, yes, there was that one time, Army time
We were out on bivouac, night compass test
Released on a prairie hill, no moonlight"

"Did I return to camp, finding my way?
Not exactly, the compass didn't show
Didn't show the lovely creek, hill's bottom
I knew it was there, follow it to camp"

"Problem was, I didn't plan, compass failed
Failed to show the steep crevasse in its bank
Down into the fissure I went, fell hard
No one near to hear my cries, cries for help"

"Thoughts aplenty came and went, coyotes howled
Hours later moon came out, I could see
The cleft was steep, no way could I climb out
Bullhorn called my name, I called 'Over here!'"

Buddies still ask, teasingly, of my fall
Of the chasm, abyss, the crack; how deep
"Once but no more, a typewriter's for me"




Typewriter photo copyright 2012 (Link),
Gateway computer photo copyright 2008 (Link), and
Poem Copyright © 2016 Jimmiehov, All Rights Reserved

I am linked with the Imaginary Garden with Real Toads,
 to  






synonyms:chasmabyssfissurecleftcracksplitbreachriftholecavity
"loose rocks fell into the crevasse"
(reference Google. Search 'crevasse synonym')
 

 

Labels: , , , ,

9 Comments:

At Sunday, May 15, 2016 8:02:00 PM, Blogger Outlawyer said...

Ha. I can relate so well to this, having hiked at night and once ended up in a rivulet kind of place! Very charming. k.

 
At Sunday, May 15, 2016 9:17:00 PM, Blogger Debi Swim said...

Sounds like something I'd do. I have no sense of direction even with a compass.

 
At Monday, May 16, 2016 2:51:00 AM, Blogger brudberg said...

Reminds me of story my father told me of when fell into a glacier crevasse. He was not left alone, but his friend called from the top... "are you alive?"... which is kind of an interesting question so my father answered "no"... This was before I was born, and I recall that my father always being careful on glaciers afterwards.

 
At Monday, May 16, 2016 3:07:00 AM, Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Wow, glad you were found eventually! A gripping read.

 
At Monday, May 16, 2016 12:05:00 PM, Blogger Susie Clevenger said...

Oh my. I would have been terrified. So glad the crevasse didn't claim you. :)

 
At Monday, May 16, 2016 6:26:00 PM, Blogger Helen said...

Hi Jim! You combined the challenges beautifully!!

 
At Tuesday, May 17, 2016 12:39:00 AM, Blogger Magaly Guerrero said...

I completely love this, Jim. The tale itself, and the memories it brings to mind. Land navigation on moonless nights, boots full of mud, getting lost (and pretending to have everything under control for as long as possible), and the cracks... today, the cracks are the very best thing. Not then. Then, they were just annoying.

 
At Tuesday, May 17, 2016 1:33:00 PM, Blogger Hannah said...

Yeah, compass answers the only way it knows how...we have to discern the rest.

 
At Wednesday, May 25, 2016 5:30:00 AM, Blogger Rommy said...

Yikes! Glad it all ended well though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home