Thursday, April 16, 2015

Visionary Art Observations ― Day 16 of NaPoWriMo 2015

"I've posted some photos (not mine) of various works at AVAM. Let them speak to you and then choose one or more to compose a new poem. Your poem may be about the art itself or about feelings/thoughts/memories/stories the art inspires. It's wide open. Let your inner voice express itself!"(continued in part below)


Super Powers
by Howard Finster

Birds Nest by David Hess




MADGrowth by
Beatrice Coron

The Gallery a Go Go
by Nancy Josephson
 
  


Always by Jim Doran


Horse Dress
by Anonymous

Cosmic Galaxy Egg
by Andrew Logan


Untitled "Doodle"
by Ted Gordan

 
. . Visionary Art Observations; . . .
 . . .So  which do I pick?  How do I relate? .  .
 
The Cosmic Galaxy Egg is nice, reminds me
of the lava rock I have collected, saved
from Mt. St. Helen's disastrous eruption.
 
The "Horse Dress" intrigued me some.
Mostly felt were remembrances of riding my pony
to high school for my first two years.

My old saddle was older than me as well.
I was fourteen, the saddle may have been
twenty, if Dad had bought it new.
I have a feeling he didn't.

Dad played a "Horse Whisperer role?"
Call him up and by tomorrow your wild,
never-ridden pony would be a fine riding steed
of which you could be proud. 

How about the Galaxy Go Go? 
I would proceed with Grandmother Squirrel,
how I love her colorful wrap around headband. 

How she in her younger day would play chase
with the younger dogs.  Always the dogs 
would win, chasing her up the tree. 
Grandmother Squirrel knew if she stopped,
well, in reality they would not bite her,
not even a nibble. 

Easter Rabbit would be next for my small dissertation,
followed by Child Squirrel. 
Child Squirrel loved his grandmother but
would not be seen anywhere near her out in public.

But my heart was set from the beginning
on letting you know what my feelings are
when I look at those six "Doodle" guys.
 
First of all I am envious, envious of the
talents that Mr. Ted has shown. There's
no comparison to my drawing,
my guys all look alike featuring
unsophisticated stickman qualities.
 
You can have My Man all in less than a minute
if you're good.
 
My Man looks nothing like Ted's Doodle men. 
He is an artist of sorts, I am not. 

If you leave a blackboard or whiteboard,
or a tablet or sketch sheet, unattended
you might find My Man drafted into
one of your empty corners. 

My Man is of the stickman art
 
My doodles aren't faces, although
once and a while I will leave a My Man
on the page when I'm finished. 
Like a trade mark, an e-signature,
or a silver bullet.
 
That's all, not very deep stuff here. 
If I could doodle faces like Ted,
I would frame every one.

How do you relate?
_ _ _
 
Poem Copyright © 2015 Jimmiehov, All Rights Reserved
Photos are from Lolamouse's post, described below.  They originated with the AVAM.
 
I am linked with Lolamouse at the Real Toads, What's Your Vision? and with  NaPoWriMo 2015, both for Day 16 of National Poem Writing Month

 - Lolamouse tells us about visionary artists.  Its a concept which I don't understand, perhaps her writing will help.  I will copy a part of her work here:
 - "The American Visionary Art Museum, or AVAM, is located in Baltimore, Maryland and is one of my very favorite places to visit.
 - They have a permanent collection of works by "visionaries" as well as special exhibitions. The art in this museum can evoke so many different thoughts and emotions in visitors. It can range from whimsical, comical, and clever to thought-provoking to downright disturbing.  If you ever get the chance to visit Baltimore, do check out this museum. If you can't visit in person, here is the link to their wesite: AVAM"
 - Her instructions for us are at the beginning of this post (at the top)
 - Per Wikipedia (link), "Visionary art is art that purports to transcend the physical world and portray a wider vision of awareness including spiritual or mystical themes, or is based in such experiences."

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At Friday, April 17, 2015 6:37:00 AM, Blogger Other Mary said...

I like your doodle man, Jim! He has such a good humored, happy-go-lucky quality to him. You should stop trying so hard to convince us and yourself that you can't draw!

 
At Friday, April 17, 2015 7:31:00 AM, Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

I echo everything Other Mary says, and I thoroughly enjoyed your whole poem.

 
At Friday, April 17, 2015 8:28:00 AM, Blogger brudberg said...

Love a good doodle.. Love a bad one too actually.. and I definitely love yours. There is something personal about a doodle

 
At Friday, April 17, 2015 1:04:00 PM, Blogger Lolamouse said...

I enjoyed reading your musings on the pieces at AVAM! I'd love read more about Grandmother Squirrel as well as the horse story! Ted Gordon's faces are, indeed, amazing, but were also a manifestation of his OCD. The museum has dozens of his sketches of faces and each one is different but contain that same level of detail. They say there's a link between art and mental illness, so perhaps it's best that neither of us is a great artist! I do love your little man, though!

 
At Friday, April 17, 2015 1:05:00 PM, Blogger Hannah said...

For me, I enjoyed your pony memories...great reflections on these, Jim.

 
At Saturday, April 18, 2015 7:19:00 AM, Blogger Outlawyer said...

Hey Jim! I think any doodles are better than none and really enjoyed hearing about your Dad and your pony. I noticed on Real Toads that you said you were going for Pratchett's last book. It may be okay but I would note that he really did have serious alzheimers at the end, so my feeling--having read at least forty of his books--was that the last couple really were not nearly as good. It was actually a bit sad reading them if you loved his work, which is why I haven't read the last one. So, coming from someone who really adored Pratchett, I would just warn you this one really may not be representative of his best work and I would hate to have you make a judgment of him on it. He is so great. You may like Going Postal as a beginning one, or Guards Guards. But of course--you'll do as you like! k .

 

Post a Comment

<< Home