Tuesday, October 04, 2022

Beat Generation - a Poem, Night Experiences for Me

              411 Westheimer, Houston Texas
       Open Mic Night POETRY SLAM, October 5

 Our Coffee House 

We sat in a circle, 
maybe a square 
if the group got large 
Passed the bottle of wine 
after a swig 
Took turns telling our woe,
or maybe read a Poem 
Ours if we had it written 
or maybe one we'd read 
that matched our mood
We all hated the war 
partly that's why we came, 
that and for the wine 

They called this place 
"The Coffee House" but 
"The Coffee House" had 
shut down 
We hose it down 
on Sunday mornings 
and mow the grass 
on Fridays 

The neighbors didn't 
mind that we came 
Oft times they'd show up 
up for the wine
Free to them 
and for us 
and next time or the next 
we'd bring one along 
Neighbors alright, 
all except one, 
a retired captain 
We read him his Rights 
and told him to shut up 
He minded real well 
and a few times bring some wine 
That guy hated the army 
and hated the war 
he'd had a leg shot off 
and became a bitter man 

A drunk one night 
wanted to change our name 
"boys and girls club" 
suited him fine 
We told him to shut up 
so he changed his mind, 
wanted then 
"Attica men and women 
against the war" 
Again we told him to sit down 
and shut up 
(the neighbors liked the 
coffee idea)

We all went home HAPPY 
as we'd done our part 
to stop the war 
We weren't draft dodgers 
but some they didn't like,  
especially with our 
Peace Symbol buttons 

Oh yes, some called us 
"Beatniks," 
we didn't mind 
 _ _ _ 

 - Poem Copyright, Jimmiehov 2022, All Rights Reserved 
 - I am linked with Sanaa at dVerse 
 - Click here to read other writings of the Beat Generation 
 - I am also linked with Rommy at the Friday Writings #47 at 
 - This is mostly true, The Coffee House for my experience was in Huntsville Alabama.  I did get drafted later, then I didn't wear Peace Symbol buttons but I did have a gold and large Peace Symbol necklace which had been given to me.
.. 

Labels: , , , , , ,

12 Comments:

At Tuesday, October 04, 2022 7:52:00 PM, Blogger Helen said...

This is absolutely the finest poem you have gifted us ... ever.

 
At Wednesday, October 05, 2022 2:12:00 AM, Blogger Kim M. Russell said...

It’s so good to know that there are still poets from that generation, Jim. We still have a couple of places where poets can meet, read and listen in Norwich, not least Dragon Hall, the National Centre for Writing, which has a lovely café. However, I don’t venture into Norwich these days and just take part in online poetry sessions. When I was little, my mother’s cousin made me some glove puppets, including a beatnik!

 
At Wednesday, October 05, 2022 5:50:00 AM, Blogger Sanaa Rizvi said...

I agree, this is absolutely exquisite, Jim! Thank you so much for writing to the prompt.

 
At Wednesday, October 05, 2022 6:51:00 AM, Blogger Nitin said...

A wonderful ode to the beat generation that epitomised the importance of peace, despite all the drinking and stuff. I've always been fascinated by their work and mission.

 
At Wednesday, October 05, 2022 2:24:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dig this coffee house beat!

 
At Wednesday, October 05, 2022 8:29:00 PM, Blogger Gillena Cox said...

This is fantastic Jim.

Much❤love

 
At Friday, October 07, 2022 1:19:00 AM, Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Ah, memories! I still have my peace symbol on a leather cord I wear around my neck (yes I still wear it sometimes). It was made by a draft resister (or dodger) to help fund his campaign to stay out of prison, but unfortunately he was eventually caught and jailed, poor lad. I was also involved in marches and protests against the war. And oh my, we had coffee lounges just like that in Australia too. I even still have and treasure my copy of 'Howl', bought when it was first published.

 
At Saturday, October 08, 2022 8:48:00 AM, Anonymous Rajani said...

What a fabulous memory... would be great to have those here and be able to protest not one but all those messy wars going on.

 
At Saturday, October 08, 2022 6:23:00 PM, Blogger Rommy said...

Thank you for bringing this part of history alive with your poem.

 
At Sunday, October 09, 2022 8:47:00 PM, Blogger Su-sieee! Mac said...

Hello, you old beatnik. By the time it was my turn, I was called a hippie. Always cracked me up.

 
At Sunday, October 09, 2022 10:06:00 PM, Anonymous Magaly Guerrero said...

I love this one so much, Jim. It reads like a story, and the tone and rhythm takes right into the tale. This is my latest favorite by you.

 
At Wednesday, October 12, 2022 7:16:00 PM, Blogger purplepeninportland.com said...

Excellent writing, Jim! This is a new favorite.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home