Sunday, April 09, 2017

NaPoWriMo 2017, Day 9 -- A Tweet Poem, short with a two-poet inspiration

Smart Yes, Not Funny
 
(crass remark, worried)
I say there, smart girl
Looks like were in for
a storm tonight, rain
Rain like cats and dogs
nasty two star night
 
(" the girl's" rebuttal)
Well that might be so
but I'm not Smart Girl
Young Lady I am
A grownup Woman
Accomplished, pretty 
 
(the writer's echo)
Ring around the Moon
Two bright stars inside
Stormy it will be
You nasty Old Fart 
Don't call me "Smart Girl"
_ _ _ _ _

Photos and Poem Copyright © 2017 Jimmiehov, All Rights Reserved

 - I'm linked with Magaly Guerrero  at the Imaginary Garden with Real Toads, Twitter Me a Gothic Poem, http://withrealtoads.blogspot.com/2017/04/twitter-me-gothic-poem.html
<- -="" span=""> - - - and 
 - to Day Nine of NaPoWriMo, http://www.napowrimo.net/day-nine-3/
My inspiration, these two poems, for the first and second verses respectively:
Excerpt from "Dejection: An Ode" by Samuel Taylor Coleridge (link)

"... For lo! the New-moon winter-bright!
        And overspread with phantom light,
normal;">        (With swimming phantom light o'erspread
        But rimmed and circled by a silver thread)
I see the old Moon in her lap, foretelling
         The coming-on of rain and squally blast..." 
 
Excerpt from "Edge" by Sylvia Plath (link)
 
"Edge          
The woman is perfected.   
Her dead
Body wears the smile of accomplishment,   
The illusion of a Greek necessity ..."
 
 - Magaly has given us a list of Classic Poets from which we choose a particular poem for inspiration.  I chose Coleridge and Plath.  (Plath died at an early age, otherwise we would be of the same age, as is Mary Oliver, who is still living.  They are my favorite woman poets.) 
 - She would rather the poem be Gothic in nature, I touched Gothic with stormy weather and stereo typing ladies but otherwise my poem is not very Gothic.  I need more practice at writing this type.
 - "Tweets" are supposed to be short, a 140 character length limit.  I did that, 112/136, 89/106, and 94/113 (characters only/characters and spaces) for each of the  verses including my short worded prelude.
 
 

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At Sunday, April 09, 2017 6:38:00 PM, Blogger Magaly Guerrero said...

Your writer's echo made me roar. And I needed some roaring just about now. So, thanks sooo much for this, dear Jim! :-D

 
At Sunday, April 09, 2017 7:39:00 PM, Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Lots of fun! And all the voices ring true.

 
At Sunday, April 09, 2017 8:21:00 PM, Blogger De Jackson said...

Well done. I found this to be HARD.
I love this:
"Rain like cats and dogs
nasty two star night"

 
At Monday, April 10, 2017 9:51:00 AM, Blogger Sanaa Rizvi said...

This is absolutely delightful!!❤️

 
At Monday, April 10, 2017 2:16:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your feminist rebuttal!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home